L'Intendant Couette & Cafe
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
$119
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Sepia(Quebec City)(Great Value!)
$88
Auberge Place D'Armes(Quebec City)
$112
  • Breakfast included
$236
$161
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Hotel Clarendon(Quebec City)(Great Value!)
$140
$126
Hilton Quebec(Quebec City)
$199
$169
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Hotel Chateau Bellevue(Quebec City)(Great Value!)
$112
$93
  • Fitness center
$277
$231
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmaple syruptrain stationcrepescroissantsstayed nightsbed was comfortablewould stay here againperfect locationold quebec citystoragesinkcharm
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 21, 2013

An "interesting" place to stay but very overpriced and unwelcoming.
The proprietor of L'Indendant makes Basil Fawlty seem like a normal likeable guy !!
The proprietor is obnoxious, rude, unhelpful, sarcastic, unpleasant, awkward and a bit frightening.
We were on the 2nd floor and the stairs are very steep and quite narrow. He did not help with my luggage but just made a depreciating remark about how I had a lot (one case) to get up 2 flights of stairs.
The lock on the door is a keypad and it took him 3 attempts to give us the correct keycard for it. ( Fortunately we checked it worked before we went out for the evening.) This involved him throwing a keycard at us to save him ascending the stairs and then when it was still wrong we had to go down for the third keycard to save him the effort of the stairs.
The furniture is old and different. The walls are decorated in left over colours. The room was clean.The bathroom was fine.
The actual premises are interesting and the location is OK (you do have to walk up hill to the old town) but the proprieter is the problem. Why he is doing a people based job when he clearly hates most of humanity !

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank neilmorganics
Reviewed September 20, 2013

This would be THE WORST hotel IN THE WORLD!! ... no THE UNIVERSE!!! Just why Trip Advise make me give it one star I just don't know. If you are even mildly tempted to stay, before you do make sure that you read all the other one star reviews on this site because all of them are accurate. The man who runs the place is rude, ignorant and abrupt. The place sets a really low standard - in our room for example the bed creaked and groaned and I had to get under it to see if it was safe ... about which I still remain unsure. The overall impression of our room was what I remember of the unused guest room my grandma had when I was a child just after the depression. Saying the place needed a makeover would be an understatement!

As pre-arranged we arrived early in the morning and left our bags at the desk and were told they would be in our rooms when we got back. They were not! We were told that we should take them to the railway station that evening as next morning we were travelling by train. A kind attendant there took them for us but it was against the rules and the Manager would have known this although he later claimed ignorance and said he would check after we left. I would bet a gold bar that no such check will be made.

We asked for a lower floor room but were given one on the 2nd floor. There is no elevator and the stairs are very steep. My wife and I are in our late 60s but no attempt was made to help us with our overnight bags. I could go on but again, do please read the other one star reviews. I assure you they are accurate and we too should have taken heed so we hope this helps others.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Pip-n-Pop
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I booked this hotel on a whim without reading these reviews. Glad I did...I really enjoyed my short stay. I arrived late, and checked out the next day. I would liked to have been there to see how the cafe was other than for breakfast. Speaking of which, I thought it was excellent. I am not a croissant fan, but this thing was HUGE! And Tasty! Under that was a crepe and some fresh fruit. I was given 2 types of jam, and some maple syrup. I don't drink coffee, and he had no honey for the tea, but the maple syrup worked just fine.

As far as the room, it was comfortable (for one), although the furnishing showed a bit of wear. However, the bed was comfortable. My only "complaint" was the lack of a hair dryer. Oh well, I managed.

The proprietor, I thought, was personable. Even though I arrived late, he took the time to highlight areas on the map where I should go. Since I only had the one day (not even that as my train to Montreal left that evening), he told me what I would NOT have time for. I thought that was fair. The hotel is very convenient to the train station. Literally across the park, and not far from Old Quebec. Be prepared...there is no elevator ... reminds me of the B&Bs in Europe...so pack light! Lots of steep, narrow stairs; however, the proprietor also carried my carry-on sized bag to my room for me. He even knocked on my door in the morning to remind me of breakfast...I was running a bit behind schedule.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Expat_Chic
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The hotel is barely tolerable. The manager (owner?) is intolerable especially if you do not speak French although that does not hold him back much. He throws things at guests and belittles them. The stated room tariff does not include taxes so the price you actually pay is much higher than indicated.

I would never, ever go back. I would never, ever recommend this to anyone.STAY AWAY!

Room Tip: Our rooms were filthy. I am not sure any of the others were any better
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank DukeImp
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The place is old and smells, very bad service. The man running the place is creepy, sneak up on people, making racial remarks. I agree with other reviews, it was really a terrible experience for me. I wish I read those reviews before I booked this "hotel". This place is not really qualified as hotel or bed and breakfast. It's a place with few rooms in an old building. Somebody just bought it and try to make some money with it, not professional at all. One of the reviews says the owner/operator; "has no interpersonal skills. He's one of the most argumentative, obnoxious individuals I have ever come across". It was exactly what I felt.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo