“A walk back in time!”

Ranked #348 of 6,033 Restaurants in Montreal
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I LOVE THIS PLACE!! I know that means I am yelling but this place is fun. A Wilensky's s Special will take you back to the 60's. The lunch counter is straight out of a Norman Rockwell painting. The staff are hilarious......just don't ask for a knife to cut the Special!! I always feel like I won the lottery if I get a smile out of anyone behind the counter. But, that's all part of the fun. Don't forget to order a pickle, half sours are my favorite and of course a real honest to goodness soda fountain drink...they even have pineapple.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

WOW, who knew that a Jewish grilled cheese would tickle your taste buds in such a wonderful way!!!

Went there Aug. 31/12 at 1030 AM if you can believe.

An office friend told me about this place and I just had to go. So on our way back to Ottawa, told hubby that would be our breaky. Ended up being our lunch four hours later.

The Place: it's like going into a 1940's corner lunch counter. They have been there since 1932, and nothing has changed since then... The grills, the cash, the bar stools, the soda fountain, the walls, etc. it's totally awesome!!!

The Food: their speciality is grilled cheese, although you can also order hot dogs and more... But not too much more. You order the special, which means a grilled cheese with beef salami and balonea, with Swiss or craft cheese. And it goes like this: 2 slices salami, 2 slices bolognea and two slices of salami. The cheese is in between. It's grilled on the old fashion grill between two round egg bread buns... like a sandwich. And only comes with mustard... that's the special.

Considering it was morning, we did not take fries or pickles.

Told hubby we would eat it later on while traveling... After all, it's still only 11:00 AM. We finally had it 4hours later. Granted the cheese had solidified, and all was cold, but man oh man, that was the best grilled cheese we had ever.

Recommendation: for a quick bite, I STRONGLY recommend this little charming place. If you look at their website, there's an old woman with her elder son... I took pictures of them, with their permission of course.

Most excellent place, and the nicest people ever. Do go, you will not regret. I would go back to Montreal just to go back there. When convenient, I will post pictures.

1  Thank Alined57
Reviewed August 29, 2012

For sure, it is a piece of history, of course it is a kind of institution, but, sincerely, 5 bucks is now too much for an ounce of baloney, a hint of mustard and a diaphanous slice of said Swiss cheese. A little expensive for a mere quotation.

5  Thank Marsac
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We read about Wilensky's in Nat. Geo. Traveler magazine and were intrigued by the history of the place and the food. During a recent trip to Montreal we decided to go for lunch. Their famous "Special" is not what I had imagined nor what is pictured on the sign. Granted, in 1932, a sandwich would have been more substantial, but the modern one is ridiculous. Two deli slices of salami and one deli slice of bologna on grilled bread the size of an English Muffin. Homemade and only $3.90, but hardly a sandwich worth eating. The cheese sandwich is just that, a slice of cheese on a cold, previously grilled bun. Mustard is standard and pickles are extra. If nostalgia is what you are looking for this place is full of it with the old signs, homemade colas and the 9 bar stool counter but don't expect to leave full.

2  Thank CurtisF
Reviewed August 18, 2012

This place is classic! 80 year old counter stools. $3.80 sandwiches. Nicest people who run it. Homemade soda. A true find.