“A Hidden Nugget”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have eaten here four or five times. It is a BYOB specializing in Quebecois cuisine. It has a prix fixe dinner with upcharges for certain appetizers and main course.

The atmosphere is lovely as long as they have not booked a large party for the evening. The food is superb., particularly if you like vension, duck and other Canadian specialties you cannot find everywhere in the US. Food is nicely presented and
extremely flavor. The wines cannot be faulted.....because I bring my own! I have tried many other BYOBs in Montreal and this is the best even though it receives less attention than others.

1  Thank Clifford K

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Les Infidèles
First off, it’s Bring-Your-Own-Wine, so bring a good bottle. Or two.
Tasting menu – choice of appetizer, I chose the Flaky of snails in a blue cheese cream sauce. It was rather tasty and not too creamy with a generous amount of snails. Downside was the little flaky pastry. It wasn’t flaky at all, but hard and rubbery. I don’t know what puff pastry they used or if they used fresh flaky crust scraps to build some flaky pastries, but if that’s that case, then it’s normal that the flaky dough hardened. Prior to the appetizer, everyone at the table had the free soup of the day, which was tomato and pepper. It was on the spicier side, but a welcome beginning to having come in from the cold weather outside.
Whilst sharing other peoples’ plates, I was able to state that the dish of assorted fish was very fresh and flavorful. The salmon was smoked for real. The “foie gras au torchon” was also amazing on the beef “tartare”.
My “trou normand” was a sorbet of pear glazed with a shot of Sortilège maple liqueur. Very fresh, winning combo again.
My main course was the veal filet mignon, topped with chanterelles and Riopelle cheese. I took it medium/rare and it was pure gourmet bliss. Lots of veggies accompanied this, a stem of broccoli, potatoes “dauphinoise”, red bell pepper, and red cabbage. The meat was cooked just right; the blend of chanterelles and Riopelle cheese was a real tantalizing pairing. The pork filets with Migneron cheese and a sweet wine sauce were equally tasty. All the dishes served could be eaten with the eyes; they were really beautiful works of culinary art.
Finally, dessert arrived, the Chocolate Guanaja “Marquise”, on mocha French cream sauce.
Delectable. A big portion as well.
The service was quicker this time than the last time I was here with my group of 20 (which ended up being split into 2 groups of 10). I guess it makes it easier to serve the clients if they split them up? Adding an extra waitress helped a lot, actually, it made a big difference in this second review. Regardless, it still made for a fantastic 3-hour dining experience! Price tag was honest and service, efficient.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I regret picking Les Infidèles for my graduation dinner. I had been to the restaurant in September 2011 and absolutely loved it, but not this time around.

First, we were given a table at the back even though their best table was available at the front (we were told it was a table for 5 and we were a group of 4, so no can do, but the table was given to a couple 30mins later). Our table was in a dark corner and poorly lit.

The place was packed with large groups, so it was incredibly noisy! I had picked it because the website recommends their sister venue for large groups and this one for quiet intimate meals. Not if you accept tables of 10, it's not.

The servers were very nice, but the service was exceedingly slow. This is probably due to the fact that they only accept reservations at 6pm and 9pm, which is very inconvenient. If you can't handle a full service, then let people reserve at a time that suits them.

Apart from our soups being lukewarm, the food was really good. The appetizers and the mains were delicious, the menu was varied and interesting, the addition of daily specials was nice. My venison was perfect, my chocolate and orange creme brulée was excellent.

I recommend going on a slow night during the week, like I did the first time I went there. You'll have a much better experience.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Nice little "bring your own wine" place. It doesn't look like much from the outside and the inside could probably be a little more cozy in terms of decorations but the food was excellent. They have an open space so that you can see what is going on in the kitchen. Had the duck and it was perfect. Also, walkable distance from the metro.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Menu has unique items all well prepared. Small setting with intimate atmosphere. BYOB from nearby SAQ= great total cost for an excellent meal.