“Great for Lunch”

Cuisines: Healthy, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Vasco is owned by the same person/people who own Ferreira. The difference is that Ferreira is high-end, while Vasco is more affordable, offering a variety of sandwiches, salads and desserts. It's suitable for breakfast/ brunch/ lunch, while Ferreira is more suitable for dinner. Ironically, the service at Vasco is MUCH better than Ferreira. Both offer Portuguese dishes.

Vasco has basic staples that you will always find on their lunch menu and these include tasty delights ranging from the bison and vegetarian burgers, to the Ferreira club and preserved lamb panini. They have such a great variety of options that you would be hard-pressed not to find something that pleases your palate. My personal favourites are the veggie burger (made with quinoa), the Club, and the grilled veggie and goat cheese panini. All three are amazing. All burgers and sandwiches come with your choice of salad, and you can usually find 4-5 different salads being served (these all change daily). While all of their salads are delicious, my go-to is the sweet potato with curried chicken. At least I think it's curried. Either way, it is damn good salad!

Their dessert selection is quite good for a small venue, and include the traditional natas and other pastries. If you're a chocolate lover, then you'll have to try l'Entrechoc - my FAVOURITE of all chocolate desserts! It's a tart with a firm crust (I think it's got a butter base but what do I know?) and i's filling is a combination of dark chocolate with caramel and whole hazelnuts. The top is a thin, crunchy crust. It's to die for! On that note, I've gotta go. There's an Entrechoc waiting for me with my name on it ;-)

I gave them a 4 because the place is very small, and when you order to go, you have absolutely nowhere to wait for your food, other than at the cash, which has a table right next to it. The table is next to the entrance where everyone piles in to wait for a table. A bit chaotic. If you're going for lunch, get there before Noon and you'll be fine. Remember that the hostess will assign a table number when you arrive, and you will order your food at the back. A server will bring your dishes to your table. You can pay after you have ordered, or when you're done.

1  Thank Ann T

Reviewed June 27, 2014

This little place served us two delicious hot panini sandwich meals for a reasonable price. All the ingredients were carefully prepared in-house and there was good variety including vegetarian options, which I appreciated. The salads were unusual,tasty, hearty, and the portions generous as included "sides". There wasa variety of cold beer as well as some wines. The desserts were all beautiful and delicious. We happened to eat dinner there and would gladly have returned given the opportunity. It was located very conveniently close to our hotel, The Omni Mount Royale, and also to the Museum of Fine Art. As for the "romance" or "Special Occasion" categories below, I say that's up to the couple. It was quiet enough to have a good conversation. The servers were attentive and helpful without being overbearing.

1  Thank Sara D
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Been to thia place three times and actually eating there as i write this review. Honestly never disappoints, great value for portions, ingredients and price. I always have the duck risotto ( so good) salads and shrimps. I wanted to try the tuna but there wasnt any unfortunately. Nevertheless , whenever you are downtown and don't know where to have lunch, save yourself from spending in foodcourts and head there for the same price! oh and their coffee is great!

1  Thank Nadine A
Reviewed June 21, 2014

It's a hole in the wall kind of place - we actually went around the block twice before we found it. Vasco da Gama implies Portuguese, but the place is really Mediterranean - salads, sandwiches and such. It is an excellent option for lunch or a light dinner. The nicoise salad we had was everything a salad should be. The staff was very helpful and welcoming. The place appears to be frequented by locals, always a good sign.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

When we arrived at Montreal we asked the hotel what is a good restaurant for a sandwich or light meal the recommend Cafe Vasco De Gama. Is a small place, few seats but the food delicious. We didn't know what to order and the server recommend the today special. We went with the recommendation, I have never eat a soup with so many fish,shrimp, oystes, lobster, it was out of this world. People are good and very friendly. I will go here again.