“A very savourous Latino restaurant !”
Review of Restaurant Madre

Restaurant Madre
Ranked #2,160 of 5,941 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Rosemont-La Petite-Patrie
Reviewed September 1, 2012

All the plates are very well presented and taste very good! The Peruvian chef has got it all: the size and presentation of the dishes, the taste and the mix of the flavours! I just loved that restaurant, although the deserts are not as tasteful as the dishes. I recommend it to everyone!

Reviewed August 9, 2012

I have not been to Madre for dinner but this is my absolutely favorite spot for brunch (with Lemeac being a very close second). What I love about brunch at Madre, is that the traditional dishes have a Peruvian twist (eg: eggs benedict with the Huancaina - yellow pepper - sauce). Absolutely delicious and enough options on the menu to suit different tastes. Service is slow but pleasant and professional. The restaurant is small but immaculate and has very nice modern decor. The only negative is that Madre only opens for brunch on Sundays - otherwise I would be a much more frequent patron!

Reviewed July 10, 2012

This restaurant is a BYOW, so we were able to bring our own sparkling wine to make mimosas! The food was excellent; I had the omelet with sauteed mushrooms. It came with a side of vegetables and roasted potatoes and aioli. Delicious. The only caveat is that their filter coffee was weak. Next time, I will order an espresso. Highly recommended!

Reviewed November 13, 2011

As avid foodies we had long heard about Mario Navarette Jr. and his trio of restaurants: A Table, Raza, and Madre.

Raza is an upscale nuevo latino restaurant that is a multi-tasting experience similarly to Europea.

A Table is a 'market' restaurant creating menus largely based on whatever looks good at the markets on that given day.

Finally, Madre is also nuevo latino, but somewhat downscale from Raza. Most importantly it is bring your own wine, which always draws big thumbs up from me.

On to the review... The first thing one notices when searching out Madre, is its unlikely location in the East end on Masson street near Iberville. The restaurant itself is small, but inviting with a simple decor. A fun feature is that the kitchen is enclosed behind a glass wall, allowing patrons a complete view of the chefs at work. The restaurant is an example of simplicity at its best. A limited menu served by a small staff of one waiter, an assistant, chef and sous-chef. The menus were limited but had enough options to cater to the tastes of a group with many tastes. I had the veal cheek, while my partner had the scallops. Both absolutely dazzled. Both were perfectly cooked and burst with flowers as one would expect from a top chef. The appetizers were equally impressive and perhaps even more creative.

If there was a con, it was that with the exception of one appetizer, the food did not feel latino. I nonetheless loved the food. But if someone was making their decision based on a hunger for latin, this may not be your place. However, the menu does change routinely, so this may have been an exception.

I happily give this restaurant 5 stars based on the high quality of the food and value. While the food is not cheap, the byow is a boon to us foodies.
Salud!

Salud!

2  Thank DJqc
Reviewed June 9, 2011

This restaurant was highly recommended by a friend and we went as a group of 7. All of us were impressed!

Service was a bit slow but it was a Friday evening and it was full. But the service quality was good.

Foods were amazing. We loved especially the ceviche, fish, beef and pork meal (cannot remember the name but there was only one of each in the menu).

We will go back very soon to try its brunch, which was also said to be good.

This restaurant is a gem not to be missed.