“Excellent Italian, great wine list”

Restaurant Graziella
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Graziella is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #216 of 5,948 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Cross street: William
Transit: Metro Square-Victoria
Description: Fine italian cuisine in beautiful old Montreal, Private rooms, perfect for groups
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Bright and noisy, service a little erratic (which generously resulted in a free bottle of moscato d'asti at dessert), but I would go again for the excellent food. Light as a feather gnocchi with fresh tomato sauce, and textbook tender Oslo bucco on a creamy risotto Milanese....perhaps the gremolata was a little aggressively citrus, but the plate was clean! Serious Italian wine it's, if that's of interest.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Graziella's was a great experience. After being sent by my concierge to Venti Osteria (St. Paul) and having the antipasti and primi, I decided to leave. Having lived in Italy for 8 months I have a specific expectation for Italian food -- fresh ingredients perfectly paired to provide great flavor that stands on its own without heavy sauces. Let me say that Graziella was recommended by the wonderful staff at Chez Delmo (thanks!). I was not disappointed as the atmosphere is contemporary yet warm with an open kitchen that lets you see "the man behind the curtain." In this case it was actually the woman behind the curtain as the restaurant's namesake is the Chef, Graziella Bautista (sp?) -- but more on that later.

I was welcomed by Alex who appeared to be managing the floor. He sat me at the bar and was very attentive. The place was busy and the wait staff was providing 25% tip level service. I ordered the endive salad which was actually a watercrest salad with endive, walnuts. radish, white raisins and parmesan cheese. It was lightly dressed and required no additional fresh ground pepper because of the flavors of the ingredients. I also orderd the veal (I know -- being from CA I am sensitive in what I order but wanted to try this dish-- forgive me) which was served with organic root vegetables and wild mushrooms. The presentation was not great (see picture) but the food did not disappoint. Everything was fresh and tasty and the veal was cooked to perfection (still feeling guilty even writing these words). Alex surprised me with a perfectly paired red wine (2009 Foradori Vignetti Delle Dolomitti [Teoldego grape]. All and all it was great.

I was eating at the bar and it was late so some of the staff was eating next to me. I didn' t know it was Graziella herself when she made a point to tell a waiter to make sure that an elderly couple (one of them was near 90 y/o) were walked down the stairs because she wanted to make sure that they got out of restaurant safely[ I know - right? she is awesome]. After introductions I learned that she was the chef and a little bit about her philosophy -- fresh sustainable ingredients that speak for themselves! She added that all of her fish is local to the East Coast and is only fish that is in season. She talks to her fish monger daily at 6:00AM and orders whatever is fresh that day. She has no set fish item on the menu so you know whatever they do have will be fresh and local.

Don't miss this gem of an Italian restaurant on McGill street. You will not be disappointed going with friends or for a special romantic dinner.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Wonderful contemporary Italian food accompanied by excellent and knowledgeable service in a quaint yet happening modernistic atmosphere. All that and a perfect Osso Buco complemented with a strong wine list!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Our best dinner of the trip was at this upscale, contemporary yet cozy Italian restaurant. We traveled up from Brooklyn so we know Italian cuisine at it's finest and Graziella's is right up there with the best of them. The wine list is superb, the staff well informed, and the food, well we haven't had a meal that good in quite some time. If you can only have one night out for a nice dinner in Montreal, you can't go wrong here.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We went for lunch on a Friday, before spending an afternoon at the Pointe-à-Callière museum. Although it looks small from the outside, this restaurant can sit quite a number of people, and our area quickly became animated. The decor is modern, the seats are comfortable. Soft jazz music to cover the background when you're alone. The crowd noise took over, but it is damped enough and we did not have to speak loudly to be understood , as it is the case with too many restaurants in this area. Nice and pleasing atmosphere, overall.
The waiters are knowledgeable of both what you'll eat and what you'd need to drink. They act professionally. No false friendlyness.
The chef - Mrs Graziella - is present most of the time at her restaurant. She is not traveling around the world or managing an empire. She is good, and it shows at the table, from start to end. The menu, although short, covers a wide range of tastes. My wife had a grilled red snapper, my son had a pasta, and I had a pork roast. All were remarkable. Totally different ingredients and aromas in each plate, all cooked optimally, for a very balanced taste. A world apart from those food shops where the only differentiator is the shape of the pastas. The desserts are top level too. The wine list is nice, and they have a full bar.
Located at the western edge of the Old Montreal, this place is not a tourist trap. It is italian food at its best. Of course it will not cost the same as at your local spaghetti house, but at this level of quality the money is well spent and you will keep excellent memories of your meal.
When we travel, we always look for the best places to go for a dinner. Most of the times we are disappointed; but we will return to Graziella's, no doubt!

1  Thank Felixc59