“Old-style Service, Warm Enchanting Atmosphere, Contemporary French Cuisine”
Review of le Surcouf

le Surcouf
Ranked #332 of 5,927 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My wife and I arrived without reservations at around 5:30 pm, but were placed immediately by our waiter Martin in the enclosed porch section at the front of the restaurant. Talk about atmosphere! This place oozes with it and the food? Oh la la, this is French cuisine at its finest.

With a great selection of wines and a waiter who really knows how to mix drinks as well as how to treat you right, my wife and I soon realized we were going to have a special evening. I started with French Onion soup. This was prepared as it's meant to be prepared, with a deep dark broth prepared in wine, morsels of freshly cut bread and melted cheese dripping over the edge of the bowl. My mouth was watering before I even tasted the first spoonful. My wife's bisque à l'homard was equally satisfying.

This was followed by generous portions of large and tender scallops in a special creamy sauce served to my wife and giant scampi in garlic sauce ordered by me. Both plates had fresh ingredients, were expertly spiced and superbly cooked.

For dessert the créme brulé was the best I've ever tasted and my wife's mousse au chocolat was absolutely fantastic. Our taste buds are still reliving the extraordinary and memorable experience a week later. Martin put his bartender experience to good use when I ordered a café Bresilien. And he put on quite a spectacle using the movable table with butane gas to first caramelize the sugar perfectly around the outside edge of the glass and to then ignite the Brandy glasses with the haunting bluish flame. What a show and what a taste!

There were many other things to comment favorably upon about Le Surcouf, but too many to mention in this article. But one thing I will add is that the main chef better watch himself as sous-chef Gérard was magnificent. Thank goodness we were seated in the front of the restaurant, however, as the power went out multiple times and plunged many of the other patrons into near darkness while we were graced by the natural light courtesy of large wooden-framed Victorian windows. But this only enhanced the already ancient and mysteriously warm and charming ambience.

In closing this restaurant is clean and wonderfully decorated, unlike most of the restaurants on the other side of the street along the boardwalk and is well worth the extra dollars that such a high class restaurant deserves. My wife and I will definitely be returning soon. Highly recommended for those looking for a total gourmet experience without compromise.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Food is always very good. Owner Dominique, and assistant Nathalie are very welcoming. The chef and owner Serge makes the food unique to the mouth and view.

Recommend rack of lamb and foie gras and profiterole for dessert.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

This was my first time to Le Surcouf’. It has a warm, charming atmosphere and was quite busy on a Thursday evening.

Our appetizers and main courses were amazing in taste and presentation.

All our main courses were tender and perfectly cooked. The sauces were flavourful and was just balanced to not overwhelm the wonderful meat. Since I am not a big fan of cheese on my food, our server convinced me to give it a try with their style - glad I did try her suggestion - the cheese enhanced my dish completely and it was absolutely yummy.

Wine is available by the glass, or from a very satisfactory wine list. If unsure, go with your server's suggestion!

Le Surcouf provided us with an evening of good food and memories - I will go back to this establishment each time I return to Montreal - definitely recommended!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We have been here a few times and time and time again, it is a wonderful meal. Great choices and fantastic service. The wine selection is great. The servers are always kind and very helpful with the menu and wine pairing. We will be back for sure. The location is excellent, after the meal you can take a walk by the water front as well.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I couldn't believe how the duck was melting in my mouth. How the personal was nice, how the wine was succulent. I will return there for sure...