“Amazing Retro Deli”

Le roi du Smoked Meat
Ranked #940 of 5,710 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Canadian, American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Rosemont-La Petite-Patrie
Montreal, QC
“Amazing Retro Deli”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was finally able to return to the Roi du Smoked Meat a few days ago after nearly 17 years without stepping into the place, let me tell you this place has not changed one bit and for once it's a good thing!

The staff here are super Friendly, helpful and funny! The menu has a load of selection and the prices are reasonable. If you want some good smoked meat, this is a great place to come as they have one of the best smoked meat sandwiches in Montreal and if that's not for you you can get smoked meat pizza, club, poutine or a load of other meals without smoked meat.
There's lots of food choice here, enough to satisfy everyone. Keep room for the deserts as the Sundae's are pretty good too!

One of the things I really like about this place is that it's still original. When you walk in the restaurant the first floor is typical retro deli style with the 4 people booths with the red cushions, the stools to eat on the counters and so on. The 2nd floor isn't as retro and the booths are small, I suggest sitting on the first floor if possible.

This is a great Montreal tradition and I hope to come back here soon!

• Visited September 2012

Maine
“A very friendly deli style restaurant”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We were staying at a condo near the St. Hubert shopping area, home of Le Roi du Smoked Meat and decided to give the restaurant a try. The name itself cracks me up--the King of Smoked Meat, half in English and half in French. For that reason alone I wanted to try it.

Le Roi is not fancy--kind of a deli/diner type place, but comfortable and clean. There is an extensive menu with a little bit of everything, ranging from smoked meat to pizza to Italian specialties.

Since we were in Montreal and had never had smoked meat we figured we needed to give that a try. I am not quite sure what the big deal is--it's basically corned beef served on rye with mustard and a pickle spear. Very tasty--I like corned beef--but if I had known what it was I would've had them add a slice of Swiss cheese to the sandwich.

Instead of french fries we substitued poutine, again figuring we needed to sample this Quebec tradition. It was a plate of french fries with cheese curds and gravy. My husband gobbled his up--I stopped about halfway through when I could hear my arteries saying, "Please, have pity on us!"

We also had a large Greek salad which was full of tomatoes, olives, cucumbers, and feta cheese. Delicious! Lots leftover which my husband had for lunch the next day.

Le Roi serves beer and wine--we had a carafe of the house white for $19.95.

We had a nice, filling dinner--nothing fancy but tasty and fun and we felt like we were rubbing shoulders with the locals, not other tourists. Good, friendly service. I'd definitely go back.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Leslie N
Montreal, Canada
“Great Selection”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I have eaten here a few times. It's on a busy strip of St-Hubert Plaza and the atmosphere inside reminds me of diners from the past. The prices are pretty fair and they stay open late.

The menu is very large, which is normally a bad sign, but in general, the food here is very good.

The pizza is the old "Greek Style" with tons of cheese and thick cut toppings, but the middle of the crust is very thin and cannot handle the rest, the sauce was also a let down.

The chicken Souvlaki was very good, succulent chicken pieces in a great sandwich.

This place is famous for their smoked meat, it's been years since I've had it though, so I can't remember it too vividly, but I think I've had better elsewhere.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank mustsell
Montreal, Canada
“A delicious step back in time...”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This 50's-style diner has become one of my favourite places to eat in Montréal. Open 24 hours, the food is reliably tasty, hearty and comes in generous portions. Their poutine and smoked meat are so delicious that I haven't yet felt the need to branch out to other items on the menu. The waitstaff is quite friendly; service is excellent and speedy.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank FJerris
Chateauguay, Canada
“Can't beat their smoked meat and Greek salad”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Best smoked meat I ever had, lean, juicy and tasty. My son still raves about their Greek salad with grilled chicken. Going to this restaurant has become a family tradition over time. My mom took me every time we were shopping for a special occasion. This year I started the tradition with my son when we shopped for his graduation's formal wear. I recall their pizza is very good too. The restaurant is little dated but I find it's part of it's charm.

• Visited April 2012