“Great poutine, nice beer selection”
Review of frites alors

frites alors
Ranked #1,319 of 5,929 Restaurants in Montreal
Neighborhood: Rosemont-La Petite-Patrie
Neighborhood: Rosemont-La Petite-Patrie
Reviewed August 21, 2012

La Banquise may have invented poutine (who knows?) but Frites Alors! has perfected it. Their frites are considerably better than other popular poutine places such as La Banquise, La Belle Province, etc. Good cheese curds and nice gravy as well as a very good selection of topping options. They have a very nice selection of beers that go well with poutine. Free WiFi is a plus.

1  Thank Mark S

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Stopped here for poutine after getting a tip from a friend that graduated from McGill. Wanted to try authentic Montreal goodies, and knew that poutine and smoked meat sandwiches were the way to go. Definitely pleased!

1  Thank Judora
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Having heard about poutine from my sister who now lives in Canada I had to try it ,we choose frites alors as it was close to our hotel.Greeted by a friendly waitress who was polite and offered us an English menu when my schoolgirl French failed me on bell peppers. As i was not convinced about gravy and cheese on my chips we choose poutine and the house burger to share . Good choice.Only criticism would be that the toilets could do with a good scrub.

Reviewed April 22, 2012

Love love love the poutine with merguez. It's wonderful, and filling! I really like that they are liscensed and the wine is inexpensive and good.

Service was okay. Everyone was very polite, but I would have preferred if they refilled our water and such.

Restaurant, including w/c, was very clean.

1  Thank AndreasRoadTrip
Reviewed November 23, 2011

We wanted poutine. None of the reviews around the hotel we were staying in were raving. Here, they should have been.

Aside from the fact that the waitress stopped speaking to me in French the moment she realized it wasn't my first language, and the completely nonsensical comics about colonialism on the walls, this place was everything we were looking for, and so much more-- especially quantity-wise.

My boyfriend got a veggie burger, which is always geocached away in Montreal, and it was delicious. The salad it came with had a bizarre mustardy dressing, but who eats salad when you get a GIANT TERRINE OF POUTINE?

We got the one with mushrooms, onions, and peppers (asked for no bacon), and attacked it. The gravy was hearty, and the mixture of soggy fries with crispy ones-- could I make it sound any tastier?-- was unlike anything we can get in California. I'm completely unclear why. The mushrooms were a brilliant addition, too. We were hurtin after we downed the entire thing, in the best of ways.

And despite all the warnings, I have yet to have a heart attack. I'll keep you posted.