“Cocktails” 4 of 5 bubbles

Mesa 14
Ranked #592 of 5,655 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Cocktails”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Nice cocktails, not excellent but very agreeable. Food also fine. Space is nice and central. Would go back. I had burrito and pina colada.

Belgium
“Good authentic Mexican food in the heart of Montreal!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Nice variety of authentic mexican dishes, great tacos, and excellent cocktails! The service was very friendly and attentive. Warm atmosphere and decor; loved to sit by the fireplace on cold Dec evenings
Do it!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Michelle V
toronto
“Good food, good price & Dos Equis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

We usually go to this place about once a month & have never been disappointed.
The service is a bit more "layed back" than a lot of restaurants but we have never had a wrong order.
This is 1 of the few places in Montreal that has Dos Equis beer.
I do agree the Salsa is missing something.
The chicken burrito is huge & I really like the re-fried beans, which are totally different from anywhere else.
This may not be true Mexican food to the aficionado, however it is worth a visit.
An addition of Tortilla Soup to the menu would be nice

• Visited December 2012
Montreal, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Slow service, salty, expensive food with no knowledge of authentic Mexican dishes. I ordered Carnitas which are never originally served on top of rice (I get the whole fusion crap they try here so I let it go) but not only that, the meat resembled more "Cochinita" than anything else! Then I had Tacos al Pastor which to my surprise were made from the same meat, they just added pineapple on top!! NO! Carnitas and Tacos al Pastor ARE NOT THE SAME!! THEY DO NOT RESEMBLE EACH OTHER AT ALL, NEITHER OF THEM RESEMBLES COCHINITA EITHER! Having said that, I have no clue what the "chef" was thinking.

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Kingstown, St. Vincent
“Mixed bag”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

We came to this restaurant since it was near a comedy club and the menu seemed to our liking. Following are my impressions.
First, the positive:
The staff are very friendly and the service was very good. It's located in an old house so it has lots of charm: the rooms are cozy and inviting and the fireplace is a big hit on those chilly Montreal evenings.
My husband's chorizo quesadillas were generous and tasty. His shrimp cocktail was also quite generous on the shrimp and was nice.
The less than stellar:
I orderred a frozen (as oppposed to on the rocks) margarita and as such I'm used to a creamy slushy consistency. Theirs was pretty much roughly crushed ice with some lime and I guess some booze. I've had better margaritas at franchise restaurants.
Their salsa that they serve with their chips lacks flavour. It tastes like watered down tomato paste. It needs something...I don't know..more lime, more cilantro, more chilies...something!
I ordered the Diablo Shrimp and the waitress warned me it was 'spicy'. I didn't find it spicy at all, but I will forgive them since they are catering to a North American palate. The dish came on a large plate covered in a huge mound of rice, a stack of flour tortillas, some shrimp, very little sauce, and a tiny little ramekin of baby salad leaves covered in a vinagrette. Not terribly impressive.
But the weirdest part was the dessert. Hubby has a penchant for fried ice cream so he ordered some. Honestly, theirs was the most bizarre 'fried ice cream' I have ever seen. It was basically a mound of vanilla ice cream covered in corn flakes, then smothered in (your choice) of syrup (chocolate, caramel, strawberry, etc,) . To add insult to injury, these are quite likely pre-made because the corn flakes were soggy. It was pretty awful. Hubby ate most of it anyway because he pretty much eats whatever is put on his plate.
Needless to say I would not hurry back to this restaurant even though it's in a great location.

• Visited November 2012