“Amaaaaaaaazing”

Ranked #132 of 5,944 Restaurants in Montreal
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Quartier des Spectacles
Description: Resto Darbar features the cuisine of Punjab (Northern India); a reinvention of classic North Indian cuisine for today's more discriminating palate. With over 30 years of experience, our chefs are constantly rethinking the classic Punjabi dishes. Simply said, our vision at Darbar is to showcase the food of modern Punjab: bold, healthy, and flavor-intenseEvery aspect of Darbar – the food, the decor, the ambience is designed to excite the senses while honouring the Punjabi tradition. Exclusively set in one of the most hip and flamboyant cities in the world, Darbar offers a vibrant lounge atmosphere and outdoor terrace where sophistication meshes seamlessly with style.
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I'm obsessed with Indian food, and the food was amazing here. Best butter chicken I've had in a long time. Great ambiance and the loungey Indian tunes were wonderful. The owner and staff were very friendly and the food was reasonably priced. Definitely recommend!!!

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Delicious Indian food. Friendly staff with quick service and reasonable price. It's not a beautiful setting but if you are craving for Indian meal, you will be very happy.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

After three week in Montreal and no luck finding anywhere half decent to eat, we finally consulted Trip Advisor before leaving the apartment. Darbar was just a few blocks away, so we rang in advance (though the number on TA didn't work, their website number did) and made sure they had room for us. When we arrived, we found we were the only ones there (a freakishly cold Tuesday night), which we didn't mind one bit.

The service was friendly and low key, which we appreciated. We ordered onion bhaji and lentil soup to start - both DELICIOUS! We discussed later that night that next time we go there (which we definitely will!), my husband would like to order two onion bhajis and a big bowl of soup, all for himself, as a main course. The flavour and texture of the bhajis was unique and delightful, and the dipping sauce gave it a good punch.

For our mains I ordered a vegetable korma with rice, and my husband ordered the chicken tandoori. They had garlic naans on their menu, and when we asked the server if they could make a garlic AND cheese naan, he was only too happy to oblige. My korma looked to be made with fresh seasonal veges, and the sauce was the perfect amount of sweet and spicy (i.e. not too sweet, and quite spicy... for a korma, that is.). My husband's chicken tandoori looked and smelled amazing, and he said it tasted good too. We ended up taking the leftover tandoori home, which my husband was very pleased to take to work this morning for his lunch.

Overall, we loved this place and will definitely be back again. The prices are reasonable (we paid $64 for all our food + a beer + taxes + a generous tip), the atmosphere is great (nice lighting, with cool candle lamps on every table and gorgeous lanterns hanging from the ceiling), and the service was friendly and unobtrusive. I'd recommend it to all my friends!

1  Thank Sarah R
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Totally delicious Indian meal. Everything was perfect. It is run by a family and despite the kitchen officially being closed they let us in late on a freezing night. It is quite easy to get OK Indian food in Montreal but to get 10/10 is priceless. Would return in a heartbeat.

I stupidly did not take any photos of our meal as the photos on here do not give the food or the place justice.

2  Thank ColinForker
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We used Trip advisor to find a restaurant and stumbled upon Darbar. We were not disappointed! The food was outstanding and the staff were extremely helpful and attentive. The atmosphere is authentic and intimate. I would highly recommend to all.