“Great hidden restaurant in Old Montreal”

L'Usine de Spaghetti
Ranked #125 of 5,852 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Description: Old-Montreal Italian restaurant, L'Usine de Spaghetti, received is guest into a charming and warm ambiance with a succulent italian food. In May 1842, in the back room of this Italian restaurant, Mr. Charles Dickens wrote the notes for "A tales of two cities". Visit us and take advantage of our free salad bar.
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Definitely worth eating at. We accidentally walked into this restaurant after thinking it was an outdoor one next door we were going in to. When we walked in we were surprised not to see an outdoor venue but we decided to stay because of the lovely decor the restaurant had.

When we sat down we were served water almost immediately and our drinks soon followed. We received complimentary bread with a garlic butter of some sort (delicious!) and we were told to help ourselves at the salad bar.

The meal we had was amazing. One of the best dishes I have ever had. I had a ricotta stuffed pasta in rose sauce (absolutely to die for) and my boyfriend had a white pasta in blue cheese which he loved. The prices were great! $14 dollars for the pasta dishes we chose! Very reasonably priced! The waitress was very polite and came at the right times and didn't bother us throughout the entire meal (which was very nice, so we had a nice relaxing evening)

I would definitely recommend this for anyone looking for a smaller venue for eating that isn't loud and noisy.

Definitely will return to this restaurant next time we visit Montreal.

This restaurant also has party rooms....good for larger crowds.

There are newer reviews for L'Usine de Spaghetti

Reviewed July 2, 2013

L'usine's quaint old building is cool and interesting, comfortable but with a cramped feeling at the same time. The bar is fairly limited, with a few decent beer and wine choices, and the salad bar is good... But I wasn't all that impressed with the "Italian" food, particularly the tomato sauce. Also, our server was distracted and a little too pre-occupied with what I assume is her beau, who was seated at the bar

Maybe I'm spoiled with all the great Italian food I've had over the years, but my entree here was uninspired and a bit bland.

Mama Francesca's home cooking it is not

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I was looking for an authentic (non-tourist trap) restaurant with a European feel. I found it! L'usine de Spaghetti Parisienne was just what our family needed. The location was perfect, right there at Place Jacques-Cartier on Rue Saint Paul. The staff was very courteous and attentive. Our waitress helped us greatly with our wine and food selections. The atmosphere was so wonderful: "oldie-worldie" charm, dark with lots of wood and stone decorated with old books. Charles Dickens and his wife stayed at a hotel here and may have written notes for his famous "A Tale of Two Cities". The prices for our meals were terrific considering that they were tasty, substantial, and included bread, the most fabulous garlic butter, and a salad bar, which comprised a variety of mixed bean, vegetable and pasta salads. The wine was also quite tasty. My family and I loved this place!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

A very unpretentious and reasonably priced late meal with friendly service. Dishes were well prepared, my meat lasagna was delicious, my wife's pasta dish was prepared exactly as described and to taste...nice to see when "mixed vegetables" actually means a variety of real vegetables beyond just onions and peppers. Some great wines by the glass. This is a recommend - when you are not looking for something more fancy but would like a lovely old historical setting, very good meal and value.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

After hours of walking all around Montreal I needed proper sustenance and was dreaming of good spaghetti bolognese.

This restaurant is located in the heart of the old Montreal close to the harbour. Inside is beautiful, the staff is welcoming and helpful, the plates are generous without being excessive, the food is de-le-cious and all of this for just the right price.

I was actually a good 30 min away from this restaurant but was so glad I took the time to get to it. It was perfect. The deserts looked amazing but I was stuffed, there's a great salad bar for those who aren't in the pasta mood or who just want some greens. Highly recommended if you crave good pasta, good atmosphere and a good price.