“Well, i guess it's mexican; small menu for a small place”

Restaurant Cafe Tex-Mex
Ranked #2,020 of 6,716 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Mercier-Hochelaga-Maisonneuve
Reviewed September 11, 2016

We were 7 and they easily accommodated us. Food was barely acceptable (not very warm). One ordered a steak rare, was WELL done, returned it & got a better one with the explanation that their steaks are frozen (don't sell much) so they had to cook it. Otherwise, margaritas were good; after a few, it was .. ok. Not very clean i must say.

Date of visit: September 2016

Reviewed August 18, 2016 via mobile

We live nearby and have gone a few times. Every time I go I try something different hoping for better, but everytime I'm disappointed.
The rice is always microwaved (seen them do it) and is kind of tasteless, the salad is kept in the fridge and is always (every time I've had it) not fresh- with lettuce that is thin and almost soggy. The main courses I've tried are by the book and not particularly creative, and rather greasy I'm afraid...
Positive- Great service. Friendly and attentive. Cocktails are generously given! And the place itself is cosy, well decorated, but not well ventilated..

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed June 29, 2016

This is a good casual place to eat Mexican. The place is small and ranchy but very comfy and cute. They give you big food portions and the meals are good. Liked the Nacho plate and the Taco plate. I also tried a dessert here: It was heated apple pie with ice cream on top and it was really great.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We didn't have high expectations and were not surprised.

Good sides:
- Generous cocktails
- Large selection of hot sauces
- Tasty jalapeno poppers
- Generous with cheese
- Decor

Down sides:
- Waitresses look bored out of their minds.
- Dry rice
- Unseasoned beans
- Beef enchilada was clearly out of a box: it tasted exactly like any dry taco mix.
- Watery frozen vegetables in the vegetarian enchilada
- Tasteless chicken
- No air conditionning

It sure is tex-mex, but the kind you make at home when you feel lazy after a long day of work.

Date of visit: July 2013
1  Thank Ball0une
Reviewed May 19, 2012

At first the waitress was polite but seemed like she didn't wanted to be there, little mean.
My main course was good. They have all kinds of spicy sauces for the courageous.
After my meal I was still hungry, so I split a nacho with my friend,
It wasn't the best I had, the salsa tasted like commercial spagetti sauce and the chips were moist. The ambiance is good tho, the music festive, we even shazzam a song.
On the menu you have very cheap picks, so guess It could be a great option for a quick snack.
Downer; they charge you 0,25¢ to use the interac, I personaly hate that, specialy in a restaurant.

Date of visit: May 2012