“Unique and wonderful Indonesian Food with Gluten Free Menu Options!”
Review of Nonya

Reserve with OpenTable
Nonya is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #714 of 6,004 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Indonesian, Seafood, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Description: A traditional restaurant you will discover new flavors and travel through the islands. In a Zen atmosphere and comforting, filled with scents and spices kitchen. You will love the exceptional service that meets your expectations. Friendly people and lovers of you discover the hidden secrets of Indonesia.
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Although it may not look like much from the outside, Nonya is the only Indonesian cuisine restaurant in Montreal, and they serve absolutely delicious food which is reasonably priced, beautifully presented, and well portioned.

I phoned a day in advance to see if they would be able to prepare a gluten free meal, and the hostess informed me that I would be able to choose from many of the regular menu items, and could discuss my concerns and questions with my server or directly with the chef. Upon arrival, our server Stephanie took the time to detail the ingredients of each dish and suggest slight substitutions which would not affect the unique blend of flavours (for example, the sweet soy sauce is not gluten free, but the peanut sauce is). Between courses, Stephanie informed us that the kitchen has a list of all common allergens posted for servers to consult and ensure that all guests’ special dietary needs can be accommodated.

I go back every time I'm in Montreal and I'm always extremely pleased with both the service and the food. I especially love the gado gado (egg, tofu, and veggie salad with a peanut coconut milk sauce), beef rendang (tender and flaky), as well as the velouté de chocolat noir for dessert. I've eaten Indonesian in Amsterdam (which is famous there), but I much prefer Nonya (especially because it's so hard to find in Quebec and Ontario)!

Tips: They are only open for dinner (5:30 until 11pm) and closed Mondays. Free street parking can be found nearby, or you can easily walk from Rosemont Metro station. The table d'hote is a more economical option; however, the Rijstaffel gives you the chance to try small amounts of different dishes. Be warned the sweet peanuts on the table are addictive!

1  Thank GF-Travel-4-Me

Reviewed January 20, 2012

We had heard good things about this restaurant and were disappointed. The food was luke warm, the service was only fair. We had been looking forward to discovering a new culinary world, but, alas, we would not return. It is also quite expensive...

1  Thank slquebec
Reviewed November 27, 2011

This small restaurant serves carefully crafted dishes. No popular 'standards' on the menu. But the cuisine is refined and the service excellent. In the summer, the patio is a plus. Nothing bad to say, but I would not bring little children here.

Reviewed October 11, 2011

I'm Indonesian who just moved to Montreal and missing my food, and I must say Nonya is quite authentic. I am not disappointed! Everything was delicious and the presentation of the food was very artistic. The only thing is, I wish their sambal is spicier and using terasi (dried shrimp paste) to make it more tasty; Sambal is a very serious condiment in Indonesian cuisine, but I understand that they must cater to westerner's level of spiciness and that terasi must be hard to find in Canada.

Yes, the service is rather slow, but the food is worth the wait!!

3  Thank Lucy_Pottinger
Reviewed October 1, 2011

- interesting menu, well explained for such exotic food
- some great items. try the soup!
- fairly priced wine selection

- entrees were more interesting than the mains

1  Thank James M