“Worth the visit, expertly prepared Japanese cuisine.”
Review of Kyo Bar Japonais

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Ville-Marie
Cross street: Saint-Jacques
Transit: Metro Place d'Armes (Orange line) Bus line: 55
Description: A taste of Japan situated in a laid-back hideaway by Place d'Armes Square, Kyo Bar Japonais is a favourite among hungry, Old Montreal diners. Its menu boasts colourful izakaya creations, lunchtime bento box specials, smart sushi options and, with over 25 varieties, Montreal's most extensive sake list! Punctuating the assorted deliciousness is an atmosphere fit for good times, great company and ample post-meal sake sipping.
Reviewed July 14, 2016

We were staying the in the hotel where Kyo is located so we decided to give it a try for lunch. The restaurant itself is cozy and nicely done. The menu is not large (maybe it's more extensive for dinner?) but everything we tried was beautifully done. My wife had a caviar roll to start, I had a shrimp salad. My salad was full of fresh greens, edamame, cabbage and seaweed. Very good! We then had 3 rolls and I struggle to remember the names but one was a Kyo roll, the other a spicy salmon roll and the last had eel in it. Again, all of them wonderfully fresh, delicious and all very reasonably priced. We will definitely make our way back to Kyo again on our next trip.

1  Thank J B

Reviewed July 12, 2016 via mobile

I rarely rate restaurants a 5 but Kyo's menu is kind of small but made so that anything you order is good. We didn't even know what half the things were that we ordered but they all came out tasting amazing! I would love to give credits to the man/women that created the Okonomiyaki crepe. ITS SO GOOD WE ORDERED 3! pricing as well was very reasonable, a plate of sushi costs 7-14 canadian dollars which is really good considering their location! I really hope Kyo extend to other cities but please don't raise up your prices!!!

1  Thank Noor H
Reviewed July 11, 2016

Anice surprise, I did not know what to expect. I had been to the previous restaurants a few times but must say that this is the best concept the Place d'Armes offers.
A very busy place with a lot of tourists. Very friendly and attentive service. The food comes out from the sushi bar very quickly.
I started with the beef tongue appetizer, a little bit undercooked to my taste.
I ordered a large variety of sashimi, it was perfectly fresh and tasty. I finished with a couple of maki rolls. Both very good.
I'll be back.

Reviewed July 10, 2016

It;s really rare when you choose to eat at a japanese restaurant that would serve you meals that are delicious, extremely well presented and very filling at the same time. Kyo is that exception. Normally, the japanese cuisine reminds me a lot of French cuisine that serves masterpieces but in very small portions. So you always get the idea of trying new stuff at a fourchette and end up leaving the restaurant fascinated yet still hungry. Kyo is a different story and for that they earn my token of appreciation.

Date of visit: May 2016
2  Thank Jeniffer L
Reviewed July 9, 2016

We went into this place sort of by accident because we didn't know where else to go and it was late at night, but it was one of the best meals that we ate in Montreal. The pork belly was delicious! Sushi was outstanding, as was the tempura. Not too expensive either!

Date of visit: June 2016