“Overpriced”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Cote-des-Neiges-Notre-Dame-de-Grace
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Recently ate at Mikado on Monkland and was not overly blown away by the quality and prices. We had the tasting plater mix of sushi, sashimi and rolls. Both of us were disapointed.
There was little fish at best and the rolls were primarily vegetarian. Of the 4 pieces of sushi on the plate 3 of them were torn appart and the amount of fish used was pitiful. That being said, the fish they used was fresh and the waitress couldnt have been more attentive but all in all it was way overpriced and disapointing. Better options in the area

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have eaten at different Mikado restaurant locations and the food, service and general atmosphere has been very consistent throughout. Upon entering the restaurant, our coats were taken and hung up immediately. Our waitress was very efficient and kept an "eye" on us from a distance to cater to our every need with out us asking. Considering the amount of patrons that night, I found this to be very impressive.
The food is very consistent in all locations: very good to excellent! The atmosphere is soothing and considering the smallish size, the noise level was fairly low. The only criticism I would have is that I find the tables placed a little to close to each other and so there is a certain lack of privacy. Parking on Monkland Ave.is always a problem so give yourself some extra time to get there.

Overall a good dining experience and I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Mikado on Monkland has unusual decor/atmosphere for a Japanese restaurant: brick walls, white linen tablecloths (on wobbly tables, with pretty uncomfortable chairs, mind you), fairly bright and airy, pseudo-spa music in the background. In short, it's a laid-back but chic atmosphere, but nothing to write home about. I found the food to be overpriced for what it was; my coworkers' maki & sushi seemed very small and rice-heavy, and the bento box appeared vastly overpriced for the amount of food in it. My vegetarian teriyaki was standard, but for something that was about 80% bean sprouts, I found $16 a high price at lunch. The steamed rice that accompanied our meals was very dry, and the miso soup had a distinct taste of garlic salt. I've had MUCH better food, in more filling portions, for less money at Kashima on Greene, and I find the atmosphere there to be much nicer. The service at Mikado was attentive but definitely had the Monkland feel (somewhat personally distant and languid, if professionally competent). Overall, I think this is probably the kind of restaurant where certain dishes are really very good, but others fall short of the mark. For the prices they charge, I'm not overly impressed when there are so many truly excellent places to choose from in Montreal.

Nice owner, nice chefs, good intentions, but I'd like to see them really step up the menu and give a bit more bang for one's buck before I would return.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

We have been to Mikado Monkland so many times it's ridiculous. We just keep going back. It's our favourite sushi place in Montreal. The food is always very good and the service is friendly and impeccable. We just love the Haru Maki appetizer! Highly recommended.

1  Thank PinMtl
Reviewed March 11, 2009

First, the ambiance is really interesting, even if the place is always crowded, it feel warm and calm. I really like the japanese style restaurant.
The waiters are really really sweet, they give you everything without having to say a word. The meal are fresh and they put nice flower, it taste good too ;)

The only "bemol" is for the price, you wont pay les than 60$ with no drink! But well.. if you want to feel the experience, go for it :)