“The Best Bar BQ IN MONTREAL”
Review of Cote St Luc BBQ

Cote St Luc BBQ
Ranked #1,088 of 6,033 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Just like with our bagels and smoked meat, the competition for the top ratings always boil down to two! For me (and friends) Cote St. Luc BBQ wins hands-down over its top competitor!

Its chicken is always perfectly-barbequed to a deep golden-brown, crisp, mouth-watering skin and heavenly-seasoned. Its sauce is a spicy, tangy winner for me, only similar was found at the legendary, pricey and now-defunct Laurier Bar BQ.Unlike its present competition the CSL chicken never has gobs of fat under its skin. Yuck!

The fries are hand-cut and homemade - old-fashioned, slightly sweet and properly greasy. The side buns are toasted flat and tastier than any, but I cannot explain the secret of why.

Accompanying coleslaw is fresh and crisp, as is their alternate choice of mixed salad. And where else these days can you find a real Boston Cream Pie (cake actually)? With a very interesting and varied dessert menu at popular prices this is my go-to place for comfort food and old-fashioned personal service..

Reviewed July 15, 2013

You can never go wrong with Cote St Luc BBQ. The chicken and fries are just excellent. My son has graduated to the poutine which he says is perfect. Not to cheesy or saucy. We do a pick-up at least once a month. The best thing about doing the pick-up is your car smells like Cote St Luc for a few days. So happy memories driving.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

If you're looking for a genuine Quebec dining experience, this is a must-do. Never mind the fancier, more ubiquitous chains; this place is the real deal. I've been a fan for years.

You will not find tastier chicken anywhere. The blend of spices and the marinade are at the summit of the BBQ arts. The soft, slightly crispy, dark brown, sweet fries, are also done to Quebec standard of fry-perfection and have a particular flavor that only genuine BBQ places can replicate.

The cole slaw is genuine fermented coleslaw, not the ersatz fresh cabbage with lots of vinegar and sugar that is too often served elsewhere.

For a lower-calorie option, you can replace the fries by a salad for a small fee but the salad is mostly coarsely chopped iceberg lettuce, and the commercial salad dressings (French, Italian, ranch and catalina) are quite pedestrian. I like to dump my cole slaw on the salad, it's better than the offered dressings.

The hamburger bun deserves to be upgraded to challah because everything is so good.

The dessert choice is large, inexpensive, and quite ordinary - quite fitting for this outstanding family restaurant.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

As far as traditional bbq chicken and fries goes, this is a great spot. Dining in the food is always hot and fresh and delivered to the table in record time. The sauce is spicy with a hint of cinnamon. When ordering from home the delivery is fast and the food well packaged. Always a favourite in my family.

Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

As a frequent Montreal visitor, I like to try spots that can't be found anywhere else (or are hard to find). I found Cote St Luc BBQ here, on Tripadvisor. Walking into the place was far from inspiring. Dim lights, retro-looking, family style seating. Far from fancy, but obviously nothing that would make me change my mind (the specialty poutines poster at the entrance did help).

I was quickly greeted and given the choice to sit where I wanted. Shuffling through the tables I made my way to a booth in the back. I dared not face the mirror covered wall, I don't like watching myself (things can get messy, you know).

The waiter immediately brought me a glass of water and handed me a menu. I browsed through the menu already knowing what I wanted, but didn't notice anything that would change my mind. When the waiter returned I ordered the half chicken plate (11.95!) with fries, coleslaw, buns and sauce. I was offered also offered green salad and\or baked potato as replacement sides.

The waiter brought the coleslaw before everything else. To make things clear, I'm a creamy slaw kind of guy, however St Luc was able to show me a side of traditional (vinegar) coleslaw I had yet to encounter. Somehow, it was perfectly balanced between sweet and acidic.

When my plate arrived, it was easy to see that this plate was worth every penny. The buns were same as usual, toasted hamburger/kaiser bun. But the blandness ends there. The homemade fries, sauce and chicken were unbelievable. I'm not one to shower fries, but they deserve a mention today, crispy, tender and almost sweet. For the first time, I felt like a second portion of fries could have been dessert. The chicken was tender, moist, plump, juicy, somewhat salty and peppery...you get the point. The sauce must be and was the perfect compliment to both the fries and poultry. It had a distinctively raw taste that, when mixed with fries, hinted towards the sweet and salty family.

Scary decor aside (never judge a book by it's cover I know), I would be willing to come back for the food alone, but when it comes at such a value, one would be a fool to turn down the opportunity.