“Peruvian in Verdun”

Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I'm no expert on Peruvian food but I do enjoy going to eat at Villa Wellington. I wouldn't call their prices "dirt cheap" as one reviewer put it, but they are definitely worth it. The portions are more than filling, the food is always fresh, the place gets pretty packed during dinner times so it might be a good idea to reserve ahead of time (although I have seen walk-ins nab a table if their timing is just right), and service is always professional and friendly.

I'm not even sure whether the food is "authentic" Peruvian cuisine but I like the things I have had. I did notice their menu shows a "Mexican & Canadian" section as well, which kind of reminded me of those Chinese restaurants that serve chicken balls, egg rolls, and moo goo guy pan, if you know what I mean~ ;)

I've only been to VW twice in my life. For mains, I've had a beef with coriander, a stew-y dish which I no longer see on the menu, another beef with coriander sauce on rice which is low on the flavour scale and comes with a massive pile of beans in a mild gravy, and their jalea which is a very popular deep-fried seafood (shrimp, calamari, and fish) dish. This is something that almost any restaurant might serve as breaded and fried seafood is surely not native to Peru.

Every meal is preceded by a basket of warm focaccia bread and butter, and a generic salad of onions and lettuce. I would not mind trying something with more spice and flavours next time but to date, I've been quite satisfied. Other diners always seem to look happy while they're eating as well.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Good, nice and dirty cheap. Can't go wrong with the "Chupe de Camarones" soup and the "Ceviche". The portions are well served so don't try to order too much. However, the restaurant lacks a bit of space and taste in its decoration.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

We were looking for something different and our friends suggested Villa Wellington for a peruvian experience. We were not disappointed. Great guacamole, tamales and Jalea! The entrees were perfect size; the main dishes were actually very generous. Unfortunately, no room for homemade dessert. Next time! Service was friendly. Good family owned restaurant.

1  Thank ivanski
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Wanted to try it out but was a bit disappointed. Food was okay but they come in a large portion so if you need a lot of food this would be the place for you. They seem to serve a lot of other cuisine apart from the Peruvian ones too. Ordered two different desserts but they tasted exactly the same. Service was pretty good.

1  Thank cutepandainhk
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Friends and I have been coming here for 20 years and together, we have tried most of the items on the menu - and unbelievably, every plate has been delicious!

The soups are to die for and they serve a piping hot bun with every meal. The meals are always served hot and quantities are generous. Service has always been prompt, which is usually the case in a family owned resto.

Prices, which used to be $$ are now $$$. There was one time when I had figured out the tip in my head and, by mistake added only 11% to the bill. The young waiter came charging up to my table and asked me if something was wrong with the meal or the service!

I've been a regular client for years and always leave a 15% tip, he should have let it pass, as nobody likes to be challenged in front of their guests for such a trivial miscalculation. And it was definitely a challenge, his pushy attitude and voice made that clear. So beware the tip!

That one solitary run-in has not prevented me from returning, the food is still the best!

4  Thank Ray47