“Good atmosphere but disappointing food”
Review of Les Cons Servent

Les Cons Servent
Ranked #902 of 6,067 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Excellent service, fun atmosphere and good wine list. But the food was disappointing. The duck parpadelle was a bad mix of tastes, my wife did not like it at all, asked if she could have something else and the waiter charged both plates. My fish bouillabase had little taste and the ray had a weird texture.it was my second time there but will not go back.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

The restaurant's name is a play on words and, depending on how you pronounce it, either sounds like the preserves, as in the pickled vegetables and eggs on offer that are also sold to take home, or "the idiots are waiting on us." Cute, but not a bit of foreboding I hoped. The restaurant came recommended to us by a trusted friend, so we doubled down and held a combination birthday dinner for our Montreal based BFF and a reunion with our niece, the exotic and pretty vegan university freshman.

The highlights started with the wine list, made up entirely of wines unavailable through the liquor commission's retail stores. We enjoyed a pinot gris from Oregon (La Bete for our fete!). Add to the good signs, the complementary pecan nibbles served with the aperitifs and a warm baguette.

Among the starters, the gnocchi, beet salad and foie gras all got thumbs up, with the gnocchi winning first prize. Things started to go downhill though. The preserved vegetable and egg sampler were no more than "okay", with the baby onions providing the sole surprise.

Someone should have thought twice-- deconstructing confit de canard and adding it to pappardelle and mushy broccoli was a bad idea. Risotto is tricky to order from any restaurant unless they are devoted to making each plate from scratch. This one came with a grand total of two scallops and a cuttlefish and left Baby wanting. The vegetables with the ravioli du jour were egregiously overcooked. Our birthday boy's veal liver was the sole exception to our disappointments.

Just when we thought we were down for the count, the lemon panna cotta and chocolate mousse went some way toward winning us back.

Service was spotty though and we were abandoned for long stretches. Several times we had to flag down alternative waiters for help. We also had to pour our own wine, which I believe is unforgiving. Desert orders took forever to be taken and a digestif didn't arrive until well after coffee was consumed. There were three requests made for the bill.

With $100 for wine and 15 per cent gratuity, our tab came to $350 for four. While there were a few great moments, expectations overall weren't met--- certainly not enough to come back when the city is full of so many great venues.

1  Thank BabyandBunny
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Not our first time in this local restaurant.

We were four friends having a late dinner. We all had appetizers which were average (boar cake, salmon, gnocchi - very good and venison tartare). We also had a main to share, the skate which was good. Our mains were another issue: two of us had the venison tartare as a main (I'll come back to this), the beef bavette and the stuffed rabbit.

Wine suggestions were alright but not to our taste.

The tartares were not seasoned. I'm not a fan of over-salting at all, but these were flavourless. The waiter saw that we were not eating and offered to have them seasoned a bit more. He also told us that it was their signature to serve a venison tartare with little seasoning (as though venison was tasteless and salt not necessary). On the other hand, the beef bavette was over-salted as was the rabbit. Not good...

Now for desserts: two of us had the pear beignets, one cassis cheesecake and an Ile flottante. The beignets were undercooked, the cassis was bitter, but the cheesecake good and the ile flottante was good. We also had coffee (which was cold) and tea. I did not eat my beignets as I do not like to eat raw dough for dessert. I did mention this - politely - to our waiter who offered the following defensively : "sometimes it's not even as cooked... (and no one complains was the underlying thought)"

I would have found the meal average if not for the defensive comments by the waiter. When the bill came, we were all in agreement that it was an average to poor meal for the price.

Hopefully they will go back in time and find their spark again.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

I ordered a bavette that was almost cold, I had to send it back to the kitchen. They didn't bother preparing a new one, and reheated it so that it wasn't cooked the way I asked. The food is over priced, and we would have expected a better service. We were 4 and all ordered different things, we were hungry when we left. My husband ordered the duck magret, and had 3 small slices of it...We won't go back and I don't recommend it.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I love the restaurant! The food is yummy, fair priced, fresh and the presentation is appealing. I like that every night of the week there is something on sale on the menu. The night I went it was the wine, really cheap and delicious. The menu changes often, depending on seasons and availability of ingredients. I went a few times and bought some of the canned food to give as a gift for an anniversary. I highly recommand this restaurant.

2  Thank Stefanie B