“Disappointing - this time”
Review of Les Cons Servent

Les Cons Servent
Ranked #1,327 of 5,978 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Not our first time in this local restaurant.

We were four friends having a late dinner. We all had appetizers which were average (boar cake, salmon, gnocchi - very good and venison tartare). We also had a main to share, the skate which was good. Our mains were another issue: two of us had the venison tartare as a main (I'll come back to this), the beef bavette and the stuffed rabbit.

Wine suggestions were alright but not to our taste.

The tartares were not seasoned. I'm not a fan of over-salting at all, but these were flavourless. The waiter saw that we were not eating and offered to have them seasoned a bit more. He also told us that it was their signature to serve a venison tartare with little seasoning (as though venison was tasteless and salt not necessary). On the other hand, the beef bavette was over-salted as was the rabbit. Not good...

Now for desserts: two of us had the pear beignets, one cassis cheesecake and an Ile flottante. The beignets were undercooked, the cassis was bitter, but the cheesecake good and the ile flottante was good. We also had coffee (which was cold) and tea. I did not eat my beignets as I do not like to eat raw dough for dessert. I did mention this - politely - to our waiter who offered the following defensively : "sometimes it's not even as cooked... (and no one complains was the underlying thought)"

I would have found the meal average if not for the defensive comments by the waiter. When the bill came, we were all in agreement that it was an average to poor meal for the price.

Hopefully they will go back in time and find their spark again.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

I ordered a bavette that was almost cold, I had to send it back to the kitchen. They didn't bother preparing a new one, and reheated it so that it wasn't cooked the way I asked. The food is over priced, and we would have expected a better service. We were 4 and all ordered different things, we were hungry when we left. My husband ordered the duck magret, and had 3 small slices of it...We won't go back and I don't recommend it.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I love the restaurant! The food is yummy, fair priced, fresh and the presentation is appealing. I like that every night of the week there is something on sale on the menu. The night I went it was the wine, really cheap and delicious. The menu changes often, depending on seasons and availability of ingredients. I went a few times and bought some of the canned food to give as a gift for an anniversary. I highly recommand this restaurant.

2  Thank Stefanie B
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We went there for a band mate reunion and I gotta say I was impressed. I was stunned by their short but effective menu. The appetizers aren't really for me (lots of homemade canned things), someone at our table took the gnocchi and they were so so. The main course selection is excellent, relatively vegetarian friendly, you'll definitely find a meal that suits your tastes. I had the porcelet (crispy pork flank, fried pork chops, creamy polenta, cherry tomatoes and a sauce I can't remember). The meat was simply amazing, the flank was definitely a win. The sides were simple but really added a dimension to the dish. I had the crème brulée for desert and it was perfect, a truly intense vanilla taste. Loved the place, it"s just a little too loud, your throat and your ears hurt at the end of the night. The wine selection is private importation. The wines are nice but a little expensive.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

Nice ambience and great menu, just not executed as well as it could have been. My food was really nice but my wife's was pretty unimaginative and lackluster... Waitress was really surly but the other guys were nice. If you're looking for this style of cooking, I would recommend La Salle a Manger over Les Cons... Still a great little place though, just needs polishing.