“Family Friendly, great pot of tea”
Review of Rumi

Rumi
Ranked #387 of 6,066 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Outremont
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I visited here with my husband and 3 upper elementary children who have eaten Turkish food in Turkey. I wouldn't describe the grill as Turkish, more Moroccan. It was fun for us because we eat Turkish every Thanksgiving whether we are in Berlin, Salzburg or Rome.

Reviewed November 3, 2011

We stayed in Montreal for a week recently. We walked or biked the entire Mont Royal to the river area over 6 days, and this was our favorite find by far. We found a listing for Rumi in our Knopf guidebook for the city and it was quite a hoof to get out there - but we enjoyed it so much we made the trek twice, once for a laid back mid-afternoon lunch, and the second time with a Montrealer for dinner. Our friend George has lived in Montreal for a decade and is of Lebanese descent, and he had never heard of Rumi. Boy, was he surprised! On the Friday night is was packed and we were lucky to find a free table - reservations are recommended - and we noshed our way through a group of small plates that included the Sunna (squash, tahini & maple syrup, what's not to like) but also the Wali (sheep's milk feta with chives and basil) and roasted eggplant; then we decimated the Husam tagine (braised lamb shoulder with Iranian spice and lemon). We washed it all down with their signature green/mint tea - lift the lid and you'll see an entire stalk of mint! A fantastic dinner for our last night in the city.

Reviewed October 22, 2011

We dined at Rumi on a Friday evening at the end of September. We were unfashionably early, and there were many reserved tables already, but we were graciously seated at a lovely table. A lovely time. My husband had the Tabriz (sweet & sour cornish hen, stuffed with apricots, prunes, raisins, french echalottes) and I had the Sultan (lamb shoulder méchoui with citrus juices, house spice blend and rosemary). Wonderfully spiced and ample portions. We would go back often if we lived in Montreal!

Reviewed September 17, 2011

I have never lived in Montreal but frequently visit family there and Rumi has become one of my favorite restaurants. The food actually is central Asian not middle eastern. The squash dip with the maple syrup is my favorite appetizer and the salmon is my favorite main dish. The service is outstanding and although the prices are on the high end the food portions are large enough to share.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

This eclectic restaurant in Outremont is great place for good grilled meats. They describe their influence as tastes taken from the silk road.

The Baba Ganoush is great!

We generally enjoy sharing dishes and trying several flavors together.

The service is a bit slow and it depends on who is serving. A little uneven but not bad.

The even have great take-out!!