“Very good food, but expensive”
Review of Japonais Sushi Zenya - CLOSED

Japonais Sushi Zenya
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I went there with my wife and 2 kids (2 and 6) after seeing the review on tripadvisor. The food was pretty good, but seriously, even though the restaurant was not full (Tuesday night), the service was really slow and we had some difficulty to make the kids wait. Also, it's really expensive.

3  Thank sirfabel

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Nice place, trendy decor, good service, yes; but the prices are ridiculously high for what it is: ordinary (albeit fresh) sushi. This is certainly not a high end sushi bar, and there are a few of those in Montreal. We didn't try the specialty rolls because of their crazy high price.

Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

We are not from Montreal so we have to trust sites like these to find great restaurants- the reviews for Zenya were pretty good so we thought we would give it a try, we were very disappointed.
The atmosphere is bad. Just plain bad. It smells funny and feels like your grandma's basement. The food was ok. Not great but not horrible. The service was good and friendly but we waiting too long for our food. If you still want to check it out be sure to make a reservation. We were there early and got a table but dinners coming in later were turned away.

1  Thank Ruppette
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I'd never have found this had my hotel concierge not told me exactly where to look, but it was so good that I had dinner here three of the five nights that I was in Montreal!
The hamachi and toro were fantastically fresh, and the spicy tuna and shrimp tempura rolls were as good as I've eaten anywhere.
The prices were more than reasonable, and the service was attentive and smiling!
All good, and I'll be back next time I'm in Montreal.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

We were looking for a sushi downtown from our hotel in Montreal and we found this hidden sushi restaurant at the second floor of a building on Ste-Catherine Street. Service was perfect, a touch zen deco, the wine card was great and we found an affordable and delicious canadian white wine. Cost 80$ for 27 sushis and a bottle of wine. Sushis were great, not so original but great! A nice place to discover!