“Best japanese food ever!”
Review of Jun I

Jun I
Ranked #215 of 5,873 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

My favourite food was the sashimi plate and the fish eggs sushis. I would come back there just for that, but overall the food was amazing, pure delight with a little sake bottle, perfect for good occasions, because it is expensive!

1  Thank GeorgeSand55

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I haven been eating susshi for 30 years...or so...and Jun I is, and always is, the tastiest sushi...away from Japan. Any day, any hour, you will not be deceived.
You can have real meals and desserts and the menu changes quite often; the Chef, Jun is always trying new combinations and will incorporate local ingredients...from maple syrop to deer...
Uou will also be very surpised by the desserts...which are not very inticing in most oriental restaurants...
Great sake, private imports...and sometime Japnese whyskey...

A bit expensive...but worth it.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

My several visits to Jun-I were all equally extraordinary. We opted for the "Carte blanche" and every bite was a delight. The decoration is elegant and the ambience warm. Looking forward to the next visit.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

After several years of going to this fine establishment, I finally decided to write a review. Let’s get to the point right away. Jun I serves the best sushi in the city, hands down. I understand that Montreal is not a great place to eat sushi, but in this mediocre sushi city (I’m not saying that Montreal is a « sushi city », don’t get me wrong), Jun I is the best. So yes, it’s better than Kaizen and it’s better than Tri (and probably cheaper than both). The only restaurant that comes the closest to Jun I is Park on Greene in Westmount, although there is no « à la carte » sushi, so you can’t really compare. Anyways, back to Jun I.

Without exageration, I believe I have eaten at Jun I more than 30 times, sometimes more than once a week (some may find this ridiculous, but I don’t care). I’ve enjoyed every meal at Jun I. The fish is always fresh, the rice is perfectly cooked and the wine/sake list is more than adequate (the cocktails are good too). What I like the most is that the food is consistent. I’ve seriously enjoyed every single bite (with an average of 15 bites/pieces per meal, that’s more than 450 bites/pieces). That is what I call consistency. The service is also excellent. For those that don’t eat raw fish, there are also several other options which I am sure are delicious, but I go there for the sushi.

The only negative point is that I wish the employees knew the wines on their list a little bit better. If the owners/manager are not present, you may have a hard time deciding which bottle of wine to take. Otherwise, I love this place. If you ever decide to go, you must order these rolls : Funny Maki, Kani Age Épicé and B-52. You must also order Uni (sea urchin), alot of Uni. It would be a crime otherwise.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

It was to be a special night, celebrating our daughter's 25th birthday, nice group of seven of us looking forward to a dining experience of fine Sushi.
Our guests had raved about the restaurant so we were all psyched. They assured us that after talking at the reservation call, that allergies were well understood, and there would be no problem to help have a full enjoyable time.
When approaching the service staff and then the manager, describing some specific food allergies with fish, yes, we realize this IS a Sushi restaurant, but for the first time ever we were dismissed, being told that they were too busy to accommodate any allergies.
We have dined upon Sushi in NYC, Boston, LA, San Fran, Vegas, Orlando, Miami, Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, etc. at restaurants devoted to Japanese Sushi and NEVER, EVER have been treated this way. All others have been very willing to help. One Chef, takes a clean cutting board from the kitchen, washes his knife and hands and then prepared the $90-100 of chosen specific food for us.
Not so this night. We were summarily told to pick from two or three kitchen prepared dishes "that's all we can do".
For an almost $700 night of dining we expected more.
Not one to spoil the event and go elsewhere, we did make choices from the limited alternative selections...sadly, sub par food experienced with that available cuisine.
The Sushi prepared for others was esthetic, well presented, etc. We would hope so in this competitive market in Montreal.
Would we ever return ... no, NOT EVER AGAIN, sorry, the brush off was not appreciated.
Dine if you have no special needs.
Go elsewhere when there are allergies to be avoided.