“good sushi place”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed May 6, 2012

excellent sushi,good value for a money,very good service

Reviewed April 26, 2012

Rice was way too hard. Fish was ok. Nothing really standout. Very small portion. Two ladies without alcohol for lunch cost more than 100 bucks, and I was not full. (I don't have a giant stomach). Decor was nice and all, but the food should count the most. For this price, it's not worth it.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

Jun I has long enjoyed the reputation of serving the best sushi in Montreal by far. However, I must say that while everything was tasty, nothing was extraordinary, and I agree with previous posts that the rice krispie one just doesn't work. There are definitely better options in town. Service was excellent though, and we never felt rushed. It was also nice to be asked about likes and dislikes after we ordered the chef's special so it could be tailored to our tastes.

1  Thank GingersMom66
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Nice place, efficient service, nice crowd. As sake is still not that common in Montreal, this is one restaurant where you can find a nice selection. Food is always fresh. The tables are too close from each other for my comfort, but that's a minor detail. Suitable for a special occasion.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

My wife and are I avid sushi eaters, and no matter what vacation we take it is always sure to include at least one sushi meal.

We decided upon JunI after reading the reviews and taking a look at the menu.

It is in a nice shopping neighbourhood in Montrel. The restaurant is nice and cozy, not too big but also not too cramped.

We arrived early by Montreal standards(about 6pm) and were pretty much the first ones there. The service was great and the sushi was very good. They had sea bass and artic char which I had never tried as sushi as well as wild salmon which is not very common. Arctic char was great, I am surprised this isn't on more menus. The fish was fresh and well prepared.

Personally, I find the rice is what makes or breaks a sushi place. JunI makes a decent rice, not too sticky but also doesn't fall apart when you eat it.

After having so much sushi, we really enjoy creative rolls as well as the nigiris and sashimis. They had some excellent rolls such as the lucky maki, and others which were just average. The one with rice crispies was almost 2/3 rice crispies...this was serious overkill on what may have been a good idea.

For the prices they charge, everything coming to the plate should have us looking each other in the eye shaking our heads and then saying "WOW". That just didn't happen on every one and therefore I will give 4 stars.