“Nice sake selection in Montreal”
Review of Jun I

Jun I
Ranked #208 of 5,948 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Nice place, efficient service, nice crowd. As sake is still not that common in Montreal, this is one restaurant where you can find a nice selection. Food is always fresh. The tables are too close from each other for my comfort, but that's a minor detail. Suitable for a special occasion.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

My wife and are I avid sushi eaters, and no matter what vacation we take it is always sure to include at least one sushi meal.

We decided upon JunI after reading the reviews and taking a look at the menu.

It is in a nice shopping neighbourhood in Montrel. The restaurant is nice and cozy, not too big but also not too cramped.

We arrived early by Montreal standards(about 6pm) and were pretty much the first ones there. The service was great and the sushi was very good. They had sea bass and artic char which I had never tried as sushi as well as wild salmon which is not very common. Arctic char was great, I am surprised this isn't on more menus. The fish was fresh and well prepared.

Personally, I find the rice is what makes or breaks a sushi place. JunI makes a decent rice, not too sticky but also doesn't fall apart when you eat it.

After having so much sushi, we really enjoy creative rolls as well as the nigiris and sashimis. They had some excellent rolls such as the lucky maki, and others which were just average. The one with rice crispies was almost 2/3 rice crispies...this was serious overkill on what may have been a good idea.

For the prices they charge, everything coming to the plate should have us looking each other in the eye shaking our heads and then saying "WOW". That just didn't happen on every one and therefore I will give 4 stars.

Reviewed February 23, 2012

We have frequented Juni for quite a few years. The first time we have gone there, the restaurant offered an amazing mix of traditional and novel Japanese dishes. The place used to be our favorite sushi restaurant.Our last visit today, however, was marked by some mixed emotions.

The food was mostly good, although we found that it has progressed quite far towards continental cuisine from traditional Japanese fare. For instance, the sashimi served with 5 different sauces, although an interesting adventure we still prefer more traditionally served with perhaps a touch of soy sauce and wasabi that do not overpower the delicate seafood.

The major disappointment was the extremely slow service - even on Thursday night. Our simple dinner took us over 2.5 hours, most of which was waiting. This may be acceptable if you are planning to spend the night at Juni and are planning to take advantage of their impressive sake list as well as wines and mixed drinks. However, if you are coming to have a meal and plan activities afterwards or if you come with children this does not work so well.

Bottom line: this is still a good place for original seafood with a bit of Asian taste to it; however, do not expect traditional Japanese dishes (e.g. Staples such as gyoza are nowhere to be found) and plan plenty of time for a meal.

Reviewed December 3, 2011

Loved their French influenced Japanese dishes and desserts. Some very good raw fish sliced and plated to perfection and delicious Euro-Japanese desserts that are to die for! Also nice sake list, with many labels that I've never seen before in the U.S. or Canada. Will go back for a repeat meal.

Reviewed August 17, 2011

very good japanese food.
creative menu but still we prefer the classic- sushi. and so far it was the best sushi we had in Montreal