“A unique and worthwhile experience.”
Review of O.Noir Restaurant

O.Noir Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
O.Noir Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #98 of 5,999 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Cross street: Guy
Description: Onoir is the first restaurant in Canada that invites you to experience food, drinks and conversation like never before, IN THE DARK!
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Tickle yourself and your guests and you won't even know it's you doing it. You are in total darkness - and I mean total. Can't even see your hand if touching your face let alone if it's 2 inches from it.
Give credit to the incredible wait staff who are visually impaired and live this everyday - except now you are the one that's impaired not them. Try to eat, try to see what's on your plate or where your water or wine glass are. Drop your napkin and you are using your shirt instead.
It's an amazing experience with very good food and excellent service. A unique place to try and I would certainly recommend people try it - but honestly don't wear your fanciest duds.
Michael was our waiter and he stood out as a shining light in a place immersed in darkness. Well done!

Reviewed June 10, 2014

This is not your typical restaurant experience, it is not about the food, the decor or getting dressed up. It's all about immersing yourself in a setting, one where you're limited to only 4 senses. I was a bit apprehensive about the experience before I'd done it, but we had a really great time and I highly recommend trying it.

Don't go for a gourmet meal. The food is good, but it's not the top food in Montreal. What you get out of the experience goes way beyond the food. It's an experiment in your other senses. My friends ordered the mystery dessert and were convinced that the fruit in it was peach, to find out afterwards it was strawberry.

It's definitely a memorable outing and one that you will encourage others to seek out.

1  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Went for dinner with another couple and we enjoyed ourselves immensely. Eating & drinking in complete darkness awakens your senses. The experience makes you aware about the sightless world and respect for the visually impaired. Our server Mikael was wonderful and quite entertaining. I would definitely go back but with a bigger group. Meal was delicious. Had lots of fun!!!

1  Thank tlcharbonneau
Reviewed May 27, 2014

What an experience!!! my girlfriends and I were in Montreal for my bachlorette and had dinner Saturday night at O'Noir (7 of us) Can I say this was amazing. I was really nervous and afraid in the beginning but once I sat down I was fine. Our server Tim was so patient with us- and thats saying a lot since we were loud and nervous. The food was really good, it depends on what you ordered, some items were easier to eat then others.
We are actually planning another event to visit the Toronto Location! Cant Wait!
This is something you should try at least once in your life.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

So my husband and I were celebrating our anniversary and I decided to surprise him all the while praying he wouldn't bolt from the door when he realized we would be eating in complete darkness!! We pulled up in a taxi and the driver said, "I think they're closed"! LOL! We walked in and the young lady in the front (that area is dimly lit) gave us a menu for us to pick out what we wanted and took our drink orders. We were then led into the back by our server, Michael. I put my hands on his shoulders (hubby put his hands on my shoulders) and in we went. As soon as we went through the door it was PITCH black! You can't see your hand in front of your face. Michael led us through the restaurant and guided us to our seats. He NEVER missed a beat...didn't bump into anything at all. It was AMAZING!

For our meals, we had duck confit and a salmon and trout salad for appetizers, beef short ribs and orange ginger chicken for dinner. Everything was very tasty. My husbands short ribs melted like butter! It was VERY strange trying to eat in the dark. We gave up on using forks and just used our fingers. The darkness certainly enhances your other senses. I could 'feel' when someone was standing or walking behind me which was a little creepy. I was so impressed how the servers walk through the restaurant without bumping into each other. They just say, "Attencion" as they move about to alert the others. Oh and all of the wait staff is either blind or legally blind.

An UNFORGETTABLE and humbling experience. Try it! It's very different but something you'll be talking about for years to come!!

P.S...They had a live jazzy band when we were there. Nice touch!

1  Thank TravelTwit