“Very good food and great ambiance.”

Les Deux Singes de Montarvie
Reserve with OpenTable
Les Deux Singes de Montarvie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 5,682 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: International, French, Canadian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Cross street: De l'Esplanade & Waverly
Transit: Metro Rosemont. Bus 55 St-Laurent, stop at St-Viateur Street.
Beirut, Lebanon
“Very good food and great ambiance.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

My visit to this restaurant was during a gathering for a friend's birthday. I was happy to know that a new menu had been recently introduced (the old menu was equally impressive too).

Their food is delicious and beautifully presented to complete the whole nice ambiance.

It's better to call for reservation before you go there because they are usually fully booked almost everyday!

• Visited December 2013

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Saint John, New Brunswick
“a tiny bit underwhelmed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

OK, so we were the first dinner guests to arrive at the restaurant the evening we visited, and the atmosphere was lacking, no fault of the restaurant. It just seemed a little "off" to me. We ate early by some standards (6:30) b/c we had another engagement at 8:30 which we barely made on time. The service was good, maybe a bit too attentive b/c of the lack of other people, which made me personally a little anxious. We didn't opt for appetizers but went straight to the main course. Before that arrived, our server brought us each an amuse bouche of smoked octopus with ?? and micro greens, it was very tasty. My husband had the seafood trio, he said it was very good. I had the lamb shank and really enjoyed it (including the edible flower garnish, a Nasturtium that tasted slightly like a radish). Our waiter suggested a bottle of wine which happily was on special and therefore somewhat economical. The food, wine and service were all very good; I think any lack of enthusiasm on my part is simply due to a lack of "buzz" in the room from fellow diners - again, no fault of the restaurant, just my perception of my dining experience.

• Visited December 2013
Vail, Colorado
“A great find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

Our hotel and people we spoke to during the day knew nothing about this restaurant. It is tucked away up in Mont Royal at Mile End. A tiny little place, not fair to call it a hole in the wall because the food and service was some of the best i have had. This place was boxing way above its weight. 4 staff members all visible to the customers, two chefs and two wait staff knocked it out of the park. Duck Ravioli like everyone says is spectacular. My wife's Chicken appetizer was plenty big enough for me to have some too and boy was it worth stealing from my wife's plate. The main course for me was the 'Tongue n Cheek' ragout.......although they call it Pork Tongue and Cheek Ragout. Dont be put off if you are not a tongue person, this was fantastic.

Unfortunately, i blew it on dessert. The fig creme brulee just felt too heavy and overpowered, just not what a CB should be like. Should have had the Floating Island.

Montréal, Canada
“Not up to its reputation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

We were looking forward to trying this resto as it has such an excellent reputation. Maybe it was a bad day for the chef but we were disappointed.
I had the bison tartare for starters: the marinated beets overwhelmed all other flavors, I may as well have opened a jar of pickled beets. My companion had the duck ravioli with foie gras sauce: this turned out to be the highlight of the evening.
Then he had the lamb shank: exotic spices livened up the dish but couldn't mask the fact that the lamb was rather dry and tasteless. I had the duck duo: the confit on a bed of mashed potatoes was ok but the magret was overcooked and coated in a very sweet sauce. Not a hit.
There is no cheese platter. We skipped dessert and went straight to coffee. The bill would have been reasonable had the food been up to par. As it was, it was very expensive for one good appetizer (duck ravioli) and half an OK entrée (the confit).
The menu and the wine list are both rather short. The ambiance is nice and cosy, a bit quirky. The staff is friendly and efficient. But that doesn't make up for a very disappoiting meal. We won't be going back.

2 Thank djostan
“Everything I hoped for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

The number one rated restaurant in Montreal? I gotta try this.

Booked through Open Table on the day and received a confirmation almost immediately. Couldn't book the exact time I wanted, which was a slight inconvenience and inexplicable given that we were there right through the time I wanted.

We were greeted warmly and seated immediately. The staff were friendly and attentive, more than ready with advice and recommendations and all in perfect English for us.

The Grenache we were recommended was quite nice, if a little sweet, but fine for the big red meat dishes we both had in mind. After some bread, entree was the Duck Ravioli - home made parcels in a creamy pesto sauce which was wonderful. My partner had the Salad of caramelized endive over a goat cheese mousse, which was fresh and tasy.

For mains we went carnivore - Lamb shank for her which was beautifully done although she found the contrast between the salty bacon and sweet candied pumpkin to be a but much. I had the veal, which was simply to die for. Cooked perfectly, the knife went through it like warm butter and it melted in the mouth, accompanied perfectly by sauteed leaks and mushrooms, and the most wonderful blue cheese bechamel.

Though both of us were well and truly satisfied by this stage, we couldn't bring ourselves to leave without sharing a creme broule, and we were not disappointed.

A wonderful night out, and absolutely one of the best meals I have ever been served. The bill came to a little more than I was expecting, though a $60 bottle of wine and three courses was always going to add up.