“Rough times for the Main?”

The Main Deli Steak House
Ranked #298 of 6,065 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Diner, Deli
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed November 7, 2013

First of all..the place is never dark.For over 30 yrs it is too bright.and it does not have a funky smell..I have been there tons of times...If service is in the crapper it is probably cause the staff is not feeling too happy lately..It's founder and much loved boss "Peter Varvaro " died on August 24 2013 and most of the staff felt a deep loyalty to that man....He founded it with his estranged wife over 36 years ago and has been there almost everyday of his life.That man was the backbone of the place...Things may be off at the moment

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Ok so the place is dark inside and short on help it also has a funky smell that is not the food. Anyway we were in a hurry and the line across the street was long. We went in and sat down and waited for about 5 minutes and nobody took our order so we left.

1  Thank stehib
Reviewed October 5, 2013

While I didn't notice any drop in food quality at The Main on my last trip back to Montreal, the service has gone straight down the crapper. We ordered completely routine take-out, in French, which the waitress managed to totally mess up. Wasn't very busy at the time. A few days later, I tried to order lunch (again at an off-peak period) and walked out after being left to stew for over 10 minutes

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I will start by saying there were two waiters, one bus boy and two guys in the kitchen for a packed restaurant. So they might have an excuse. Nonetheless they brought our French fries out ten minutes before my son got his hamburger, then another five minutes for my son to get his hot dog...then another ten minutes for my wife to get her smoked meat sandwich and then another five minutes for me to get my sandwich. I find that hard to overlook. The smoked meat was okay, but it wasn't the best. I prefer Reuben's for downtown (yes I have been to Schwartz's, which I find very dry) and smoked meat Pete's for my favourite in Montreal. Nothing really stuck out about the Main...I didn't find the portions that big, and the quality was okay, but just okay. Maybe if we had had better service my opinion might have been a little higher.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This place is overshadowed by Schwarz across the street. We met some people who live in Montreal and they showed us around. Apparently this place is much better than Schwarz so if you can give it a try. They all ate the smoked meat sandwich and I ate the ribs. Ribs were amazing! My only complaint is the pickles were soft. Other than that, fantastic deli!