“very bad service”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District)
Cross street: Charlevoix
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Went there last night with a couple of buddies and its the worst service we recieved from any eatery. We asked for some bread they brought out 2 slices of rye bread with a slab of butter and 1 pickle for the 2 of us. the water they served was warm and we had to ask for ice. when a 3rd partly joined us we asked again for bread and we got 3 slices of bread and 2 pickles and a slab of butter. i ordered the spaghetti/lobster which was totally awesome and my buddies ordered the joe beef steak which to their comments was totally disgusting. they actually got 1slice of tomatoe and some spinach with their meal and had to ask for salt and sauce for the steak.you would think at 48.00 a plate they would serve you up extra vegies or at least ask if you wanted anything extra on the side with this meatmeal..194.00 for this meal which included 2 joebeef beers.....to summarize this event we went to DairyQueen for desert and came up with this unanimus conclusion...DO NOT SPEND YOUR GOOD MONEY THERE..service was POOR,food based on 3 people was a failure...but we were caught up on all the rave about this eatery..

4  Thank stringguy

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Great service, great food, perhaps, like Au Pied de Cochon, too excessive... Double Down with foie was too easy to overdo, the deep frying took away A LOT of the sublime texture of the foie... bacon overwhelmed it because of that... otherwise, lamb was amazing, rabbit was decent, house made saucisse were adequate, house beer and wine selections were fantastic!
Best thing: absolutely no pretensions, WAAAY cool staff and decor (ahem, should we discuss THE bathroom???)
Absolutely worth the effort to get in, at least once!!

Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Joe was name number 1 restaurant by vacay.ca this year and that's why I drove 600 km for this dinner. We had white blood pudding with black truffle and mixed beans, foie gras double down, sweet bread with lobster sauce and lobster mushroom, roast Quebec chicken with black pepper sauce and hazelnut butter cake for dessert. The potion are good size and the food was outstanding. Must try! The only complaint was the cheap truffle, I can't smell or taste the earthiest at all.

1  Thank Musumekiller
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The fact this isn't listed in the World's Top 50 Restaurant awards each year is baffling. If Montreal had a Michelin guide this place would definitely have 1-2 stars. I was a bit hesitant because I was dining alone as my friend was unable to make it, but I didn't want to throw away the hard to get reservation, so I sat alone at the oyster bar and the service was very friendly and welcoming. I had the foie gras double down (half size), which I suppose everyone has if it's on the menu. It is among the top 2 or 3 best things I've ever eaten...and I've dined at quite a few world class restaurants. For the main course I ordered the duck, which was also excellent, as were the fresh oysters and sea urchin. Very friendly service, and excellent food. This is not white-table dining, so just dress clean and a bit better than casual and you'll fit right in. Highly recommended.

2  Thank northropfrye
Reviewed August 3, 2013

overrated, expensive, bad service... very slow service and they kick us out during dessert because the second round was there, when it their fault, suggested the most expensive choice and very arrogant waitress

6  Thank sunny111111