“Good food but amazing service.”
Review of Joe Beef

Joe Beef
Ranked #205 of 6,067 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District)
Cross street: Charlevoix
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

I've definitely had a better steak elsewhere but my two favorite aspects of this restaurant is the service; our server was excellent and the atmosphere; try and reserve the table in the window.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

First of all, i want to make it clear that my review is based on my own expectations and relative to the price i paid when i tried Joe Beef

I wanted to try this restaurant for a long time having heard food critics, read reviews and heard a lot of good things about this place. When i finally booked i was really expecting this night out.

ATMOSPHERE: Upon arrival, i liked the restaurant a lot, the chalkboard menu approch pleased me. The atmosphere felt good. A little noisy due to the proximity of the tables and the small dining room, but that doesnt bother me because i go for the food/wine not for the atmosphere.

MENU : Chalkboard approch, really well presented. Excellent wine by the bottle choice, no wine by the glass on the menu BUT available upon request. The bad thing about the menu is that you dont get a lot of information on the chalkboard as the space is reduced. For example, on the menu " Flank steak with smoked sausage" Nobody explains that it comes with a sous vide celery cooked in a franks red hot sauce, and is accompanied by parmesan french fried. That would be a good thing to know before ordering. Good choice of appetizers

FOOD: Disapointed. for the price they ask, i would expect more. a 50$ lobster spaghetti that is pretty good, but without any WOW in it or anything special feels like a rip off to me. We also had the flank steak with beef sausage. The franks red hot sauce overwhelm COMPLETELY the dish, i felt like i was eating spicy chicken wings at a local pub. The sauce was so spicy (and i like spicy) that i didnt taste the beef or the sausage. Total disapointement. I would definitely not recommend that dish. I had the Quail with raisins as an appetizer, that was just ok, dried out a little bit. The sauce on the other hand was pretty good. Overall, no WOW in any of the dishes we had, well executed but definitly overpriced.

SERVICE: Good service, lacks menu explanations but overall a good service

OVERALL: I think Joe Beef is overrated by the local foodies, i think it is not up to the high standards people sets for this restaurant and i think the management surfs on the hype about the place to raise prices and they focus less on the food quality... In the long run i think this place will not last if they dont come back to the first priority that is the quality of the food served. I would advise to reduce the size of the portions as everyone was leaving with a doggy bag. Honnestly? i do not expect to leave with leftovers in a restaurant that cost over 200$ for two persons.... Reduce the size, reduce the price...

Personnaly, i will not go back, i think you can get a lot more for your dollars, i think the place is overrated. Finally,i would have given a 3.5 rating...

1  Thank MaxCDC
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is a place you can go and be assured to have a great meal and experience. The Bloody Caesar is a must to start your dinner. It is delicious!!!! Oysters are fresh and delicious. And everything that figures on the menus is good. Great back terrace in the summer. Love it every time I go there. Service is also impeccable. Ambiance, music, decor, packed, it's all excellent.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We've been living in the neighbourhood a long time but hadn't been to Joe Beef and decided to celebrate with a couple of friends by splurging on what we hoped would be a great meal. It outclassed our high expectations. The service was very good and pleasant. Spent a long time standing by the chalk board weighing all the excellent food and wine options. The oysters were extraordinary, and the soup au cresson terrific. I had a magnificent salad of the day and the highly reputed spaghetti with lobster - to die for. One of us had ris-de-veau, one the pintade, and my partner had dorade. All were excellent. Remember you have to order the side vegies separately. The wine list is high quality and expensive, and we had a terrific chablis. We shared three desserts among the four of us - at least one too many - and they all were delicious. Remember you may have to reserve long in advance, especially if you want a table on a weekend later than 7pm. Some of us found it noisy - definitely for a young crowd with good ears. I'm looking for an excuse to go back again.

1  Thank hpkmontreal
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We drove almost four hours from upstate New York to Montreal to dine at Joe Beef, spent the night, and drove back to upstate NY. It was worth every minute in the car . . . and then some. Picture your small neighborhood restaurant serving unique and unusual palate pleasing dishes. The menu changes daily, depending on what is available that day, so it's written on large chalkboards. From the bread they brought with the monster pickle at the beginning of our meal to the dessert, everything was spot on. The oysters were fresh and served with freshly grated horseradish. The sweetbreads appetizer was amazing. The whole fish was crispy on the outside and perfectly cooked on the inside. The steak was huge and cooked exactly as ordered. Chef owner David McMillan was in the restaurant throughout our dining experience and was nice enough to not only sign a cookbook for us, but also to pose for a photo. This restaurant is worth the drive . . . from anywhere.