“Fun atmosphere and good Japanese snacks”
Review of Isakaya

Isakaya
Ranked #594 of 5,873 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This restaurant is near the McGill ghetto. I have been twice for dinner and quite enjoyed the food. This is a noisy place that caters to the younger set. Usually when a table orders a drink called a sake bomb! We were a party of 3 and we had the Soft Shell Crab tempura which was excellent. The original pork belly ramen was the best I have ever had and the Okonomiyaki (cabbage pancake with pork) was great! We also had Yakiika, Karaage and Chazuke Takaowasa all of which were excellent!. Our bill with tea and beer was around $70 after tax.

Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

This place in the middle of McGill ghetto used to serve good sushi and great atmosphere.Unfortunately, the food served at lunch was just average, the price quite high for the quality and quantity and the place looks  a bit run down.
There are now in Montreal japanese restaurants with better value for good sushi and ramen.

Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

The food is real good, but the revelation are the udon and the ramen, simply fantastic!
The only downside its that the service is too long, it took about an hour to have our orders served.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

I was a tourist in town and this place was near my hotel. I found it on Tripadvisor. First, I would say the food was very good - sushi good and fresh. I recommend basic nigiri style salmon, tuna, yellowtail, unagi... The restaurant itself is pretty modest - they would be well advised to replace the carpet. The service was very good and generally quite friendly. I would say this a "locals" place which is a good thing.

Reviewed April 2, 2012

I have been visiting Montreal for 40 years and spent 15 years traveling in Japan. One should not compare Isakaya to restaurants in Japan or even excellent restaurants in cities with many Japanese business clients. This is a local reliable place serving good food at a reasonable price without any fuss or frills. The sushi is always fresh and good quality. The Japanese chefs at Isakaya focus their attention appropriately on taste, more than appearance and atmosphere. I come back here again and again because this is close to being Japanese comfort food.