“Great surprise”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Cross street: Sherbrooke
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I had gone on a friend's recommendation

We split 5 different appetizers.
The gravlax was one of my favorites.
Great service and ambiance.
Prices were reasonable as well

Will go again next time in MTL

Reviewed May 3, 2013

This is the perfect place if you love wine and great ambiance. I have been many times and have always left thinking it's the best place in Montreal to grab some drinks and a few appetizers. The green beans and truffle oil dish is divine. The wine list is to die for. Great Staff, good looking ppl and a fab joint for all types of get -togethers. Great place to bring a date, boys!! Enjoy.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I had spotted this place on a Best Of list, and was pleasantly surprised to see it was right across the street from our hotel! The ambience is really nice and the wine menu is ridiculously large. There is also a selection of beer and a small bar for liquor. We sampled the brownies (DELICIOUS!) and churros (so-so, the chocolate sauce was lacklustre) from the dessert menu.

Only complaint is that our server upcharged us for substituting a champagne because they ran out of what was on the menu. If you run out, that's hardly a cost you pass on to the customer. We weren't fans of that, but otherwise had a great visit. I definitely recommend it.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I went on a date. We had good wine. the lady was not too fimiliar with the wine selection and our waiter did a good job of guiding her. We ended up having multiple kinds. I chose a roasted duck entree and she selected the beef tartar. Both were good. The mood was mellow and nice. Dimmed out lights. very nice.

Best surprise at the end of the night was the bill. for the amount of alcohol and food consumed I walked away with paying half of what I would have paid at the W or somewhere in Old port.

word of Advice do reserve in advance!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I'm looking at the reviews and they rave about the ''restaurant''. I beg to differ....

In my humble opinion, this is not a place to get the most amazing food. This is a trendy, upscale wine bar. A place to see and be seen. To have a very good glass of wine with something to nible on. So if this is what you are looking for, espacially for a ''5 @ 7'' before a good diner or going out...It's probably the place to be.

My husband and I went on Friday March 30th, on a long awaited couple's night out. We don't often have the chance to go out without the kids. So we enjoy good food, good wine and mostly a romantic ambiance.

Our table:
We were first placed next to the entrance door and got the cold draft most of the evening. Our table was next to the stairs going down and to the bathrooms... We did ask to be moved but were refused. (our diner started at 7:30PM). We believed because we were 2 and they kept the upstair floor for 4 and more, since many who arrived after us were moved when they asked. Luckily the way the table was set and spaced, with the constant comings and goings of the staff , was not bothersome.

The food and wine :

We started with the bubble trio (trio bulles).
Here is what we ate : Marinated cerignola olives with candied lemon (bland olives, sweet-candied indeed lemon peels (I was expecting morocan style!)), Fried calmari & onion, salsa verde mayo, Mini bison burgers, matchstick fries (good...not extraordinary), Venison tartare & homemade chips, Roasted duck magret, salardaises potatoes (I don't even remember its taste!), Cheese plate and Brownies,coffee-white choco ganache,whip cream.

All with a nice Barolo 2007, La Tartufaia, Giulia Negri (Italy) bottle.

So.....I found the food to be a bit bland as we like bold and or exiting flavours....Seasonning....
For example the fried calamaries were very well cooked but lacked salt and some ''oumpf''. Just plain tasting calamaries, with a very light and crispy coating...Well executed but.... something was missing. However the deer (stag) tartare was AMAZING... we took it twice! The cheese plate was worthed but...... the brownies... I'm still disapointed with there lack of ''browniness'' texture... More like cold fudge...

Therefore, I believe that my food and wine experience at Le Comptoir, charcuteries et vins as well as our outings to Le p'tit bouchon in Boisbriand top definately this one.

The service was just good. They are very nice but there is this feeling of ''we-know-we-are-an-upscale-place'', missing some warmth....I DID appreciate our waitress who was a knowledgeable wine counsellor (I cannot say somelier... I don't believe she was). She was able to help us with our bottle selection and food pairing, which made the experience a little bit more memorable.

Since we indulge when we do go out, I found that it was a bit too pricey for what I had ($300 for the 2 of us). Even our dinner at Toqué, although disapointing was still memorable compare to this...

But in all....that is my humble opinion. You do not have to agree with me...