“Very expensive for just Cheesecake”
Review of Vallier Bistro

Vallier Bistro
Ranked #269 of 6,036 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: American, French, Canadian
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Cross street: Lemoyne
Transit: Metro Sqaure Victoria est a 200 metres du restaurant. Subway station Square Victoria is 200 meters from the restaurant.
Description: *UPDATE! Vallier now offers brunch on weekends!* Since April 2016, Vallier has a new look and includes a new concept : contemporary Montreal bistro. Vallier still offers its classics like the mac n' cheese and sheperd's pie, but has other new dishes. You'll see a lot of Quebec ingredients in our meals and cocktails, but also premium local beers on tap. All this without becoming too fancy. Vallier wants you to feel like you're sitting at your grandmother's table! Join us for brunch (on the weekends), lunch or dinner. We welcome reservations.
Reviewed May 30, 2014

So I had heard big things about this place in terms of their desserts. Very friendly service. I got a seat fast and ordered a cappuccino and Cheesecake. The cheesecake was potentially the best one I have ever had, Great texture, creamy, had just enough on the place and topped with strawberries and blueberries. Delicious. The two different sauces spread across the plate added a different flavour as well as looking visually pleasing. Being from NZ the coffee wasn't up to my standard but I liked that it came with two small fudge squares on the side. Quite pricey after tax and tip is added on top, however I did tip large as the food was amazing and I enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

We loved the food here - I had the chicken, which was cooked really nicely with a very tasty jus, mashed potatoes and a selection of al dente vegetables. My husband had the steak tartare and loved it! My son said the ribs were the best he'd had and my daughter loved her macaroni cheese with bacon.
The service was great to start with but by the end of the evening we were being totally ignored by the 3 staff, despite the restaurant emptying out! We had to ask twice for the bill and the second time we asked, the server went and cleaned two empty tables before bringing us the bill - despite there being no customers waiting to be seated! I don't know whether it was because we were speaking English as opposed to French, but the way that the waiters ignored us (totally avoiding eye contact as they walked past the table!) once they had served us dinner was extremely frustrating and totally spoilt the experience.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

I wanted a quiet evening with authentic tasty food but not something outrageously pricey. The concierge at my hotel recommended Vallier. And so I gave it a try.

The restaurant is very unassuming to look at. And the ambience, while pleasant isn't necessarily inviting (lighting is a bit odd, decor a bit bare). But the food and service were top notch. The waiter (wonderful guy from France but i can't recall his name) was very attentive without being cloying. I had the salmon tartine entree which came with a lovely pesto salad and lovely bread.
I would definitely go back.

1  Thank Adi T
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We stopped in to Vallier when Brit and Chips (down the street) had a line out the door. We didn't have a reservation (lunch on a Friday), but the hostess was very accommodating and seated us right away without any hassle. Our waiter was both friendly and attentive, and my husband and I loved the laid-back vibe. We each ordered a local beer and a sandwich: my husband got a burger while I got the haddock BLT. My sandwich had amazing wasabi mayo that really took it to another level, flavor-wise. My husband's burger was a little more well-done than he requested, but tasted delicious and wasn't dry. We were given a pile of fries and a small side salad, which was simply dressed, but still pretty tasty. Would definitely visit again, this time for brunch or dinner!

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We ended up stumbling upon Vallier when Holder wasn't open down the street. The menu seemed accessible and had enough options for both of us. We got there right as it opened on Sunday so we were seated right away. Several tables were reserved when we got there. The music was fun and funky- sort of disco meets folk from the 70s and 80s. The servers were fun, helpful, and genuinely happy to speak English when I said I couldn't speak French.

Breakfast was delicious-- I had the eggs with cheese- the cheese was goat cheese, but it tasted like brie. My meal came with fruit and a small bunch of mixed greens. The small pieces of baguette were forgettable. My husband got the meat plate with eggs, ham, sausage links, and bacon. OMG- the bacon was like a maple pork belly, semi crunchy and delicious. The sausage had some sort of spice in it that we couldn't figure out, but we were nearly fighting over it.

Prices were reasonable, service was fast, pleasant and the decor was familiar and comforting. A great ending to the weekend.