“Disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vallier Bistro

Vallier Bistro
Ranked #212 of 5,655 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French, American, Bar, Canadian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Cross street: Lemoyne
Transit: Metro Sqaure Victoria est a 200 metres du restaurant. Subway station Square Victoria is 200 meters from the restaurant.
Description: *UPDATE! Vallier now offers brunch on weekends!* Since April 2016, Vallier has a new look and includes a new concept : contemporary Montreal bistro. Vallier still offers its classics like the mac n' cheese and sheperd's pie, but has other new dishes. You'll see a lot of Quebec ingredients in our meals and cocktails, but also premium local beers on tap. All this without becoming too fancy. Vallier wants you to feel like you're sitting at your grandmother's table! Join us for brunch (on the weekends), lunch or dinner. We welcome reservations.
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was probably my least favourite restaurant that we visited while on a trip to Montreal and Quebec City, though it was far from poor.

The restaurant was recommended by a tour guide as being typical of the Montreal interpretation of French food.

Service was fairly hit and miss and not particularly friendly, though nothing specific to really complain about. The food was just too rich and, certainly for my tastebuds - and I like my food well seasoned - much too salty.

I came away disappointed that we had chosen this restaurant for the last night of our trip, in a city which is packed with excellent eating places. It wasn't particularly expensive, but neither was the food good for the price.

I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't recommend it to others - there are far nicer places with better prices and with far nicer staff.

The restaurant looked quite tatty and a bit tired at the end of the weekend - all in all, I just got the feeling that nobody particularly cared.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank fatbottomzebra

Queens, New York
“Still great 5 years later”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

We had come here on our honeymoon and came back for our five year wedding anniversary this time with a 2 year old in tow. The food was great; portabello raviolis with duck confit were amazing. $5 wine special was greatly appreciated. Service was kind and quick. This restaurant has a great local vibe. Highly recommended.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank GucciKing
Whitby, Canada
“Very good food and reasonably priced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Vallier is centrally located on the edge of old and new Montreal on McGill. An easy walk from our hotel (Saint Sulpice). Nice atmosphere and we were helped by an excellent wait staff. We took a few apetizers and I loved the beef tartare. Often times restuarants throw the beef through a grinder but this was properly chopped up and nicely seasoned. My wife took the scallops and they were truly out of this world...excellent.The ravioli with duck confit was very tasty and I would have that again. They make an awesome sheppards pie with duck; definitely out of the box and to be reccommended. I am pleased that the concierge of the Saint Sulpice reccommended this place. I will definitely go back again.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Great food but quite expensive.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Centrally located, good atmosphere. Food and service were great. Very expensive, even for Quebec standards. Try the fish BLT, worth the money.

• Visited August 2013
Montreal, Canada
“Terrible service, average food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

I work in the same area as this restaurant and have been 3-4 times in the past year. Unfortunately the experience was exponentially worse each time. Also worth mentioning that it gets very noisy when full, so having a 1on1 conversation can be very difficult, for business or just as a couple.
There are a few dishes that are good regulars on the menu (ex: shepard's pie with duck, house mac n cheese), but otherwise you are gambling with very poor odds. Average cost is minimum 20$ per person, and the last 2 meals there my money got me dry, flavorless salmon, and an extremely thin burger patty that they falsely advertise as 'AAA' beef in the menu...

The worst, by far, was the service and staff. The hostess at the front makes a scene like her day is ruined if you do not have a reservation (when 90% of their clients are walk-in lunches). Last time I had barely sat down when a waitress claimed my chair was meant for another (currently empty) table and yanked the chair with me still sitting in it. The meal took 45 minutes to arrive, and afterwards we waited 20 minutes for a bill from the spaced out waitress, when we finally had to ask another to take care of payment.

There are too many better choices nearby, to waste that amount of money on this average food, and to be served so poorly, by visiting Vallier.

• Visited May 2013