“Been there 4-5 times, always excellent!”
Review of Bistro Cocagne - CLOSED

Bistro Cocagne
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We have been to this restaurant ever since Toque moved out of this location. The food is always original, tasty, beautiful presentation and not expensive. $39 table d'hote. Service is so attentive. Very pleasant in English and French. Fun experience!

1  Thank JeffreyVictoriaBC

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Working with a film crew June 30th who were filming the different plates in season prepared by the chef. I went down in the kitchen to watch the team preparing for dinner.
I asked the Chef to choose what I was to have for dinner.
He prepared an incredible fish cake in herbs and lemon. Followed by the White boudaine which was so light and fluffy. One of my favourite dishes is the Musclun salad with maple as an entrée. The tuna tartar is also a huge favourite of mine.

I am not a lover of desert but the chef brought to our table several deserts but the one that was beyond devine which wa not very sweet was the house pudding chomeur in a pan. I could have eaten the whole thing it was so good.
The staff, the service and atmosphere on St Denis Street in the Plateau Montreal was fantastic. A great street to stroll after dinner.

2  Thank Ruby R
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Very friendly service. We had the "menu degustation". Everything was delicious, but some dishes were made to look more complex than they actually were, in my opinion. Can be pricy, but certainly worth a try.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Atmosphere: went there on a Sunday night: it was quiet, but very nice attentive service, had to wait a bit too long for the main course, which is strange since they weren't that busy. I give it a 3/5.

Appetizer foie gras: Big points on delighful caramelized carrots, sweet, almost candied sauce. Went well with a nice glass of Mauzac. Sadly, no Sauterne. However the piece itself was a tad too small for the price and had a bit of connective tissue in it. I give it a 2.5/5

The main dish: a generous portion of Joue de Boeuf: nicely spiced and grilled. Quite tasty. Sauce is imaginative but I found it slightly on the too greasy side, taking away some of the flavours. Also, couln't help but feel that the joue de boeuf was from the leftovers, as the outer layers was too tough, as if reheated several times: OK in a cheaper bistro, but when one is paying 270$ for 2 people, I expect better performance. I give it a 3/5.

Wine: most of the wines were not familiar to me, as I mostly drink Italian wines. We had a pretty swill Tempranillo 2006 for about 74$. It had a nice sulfur-like earthy nose, but the body was a bit thin and it had way too much acid. It got better after decanting and was more or less OK with rich sauces and meats but oh so horrible by itself. I give it a 2/5.

Cheeses: small portion of a nondescript blue (forget the name), and compte cheese - too pricey for the minuscule amounts: nice presentation. I give it a 2/5

Desert: chocolate frozen mousse with some scattered chocolate bread crumbs: a disappointment: the "mousse" was a solid semi-sphere of cheap/dense chocolate as if it came from a frozen-food section at a cheap supermarket (it probably did). The chocolate breadcrumbs were actually the highlight of the dish together with some cherries. Nice presentation but overall a downer. I give it barely 1.5/5 stars.

Overall: nice bistro, but too expensive for what it delivers (270$ for 2 with wine and tip). I would not come back. For people who know La Colombe, Cocagne is a bit more refined in terms of sauces but way more expensive at the end.

Verdict: NOT WORTH THE MONEY, BUT NICE EFFORT, SOME SAUCES ARE NICE.

1  Thank Brunello Q
Reviewed March 18, 2013

One of these days I'm going to have to try Cocagne for dinner - I was pretty impressed with what the chef put together at a recent brunch during the Festival of Lights - and isn't that the point of the Festival - to get people out of their comfy hang-outs - and into new and perhaps exciting places like Cocagne?

The advertised meal was the chef's rap on Sugaring Off - so he started with the traditional meal (check out my blog on the Festin de Compagne) and went from there. There were pickled beets - sliced so thin it was a challenge to get them off the plate - and instead of deep fried Oreilles de Crisse - the chef offered Prosciutto style ham slices sitting on a maple glaze. The omelette - while not the glorious fluffy concoction I had up north - was interestingly seasoned.

Portions were ample - so that wasn't the problem. The problem was that he didn't go far enough - neither the feast of a Cabin a Sucre - nor the extremely elegance of a complete departure from the offerings of a Cabin. Instead it was pleasant, the company was nice - overall - I didn't get blown away.

This was clearly not the winner in the battle for my heart - the lack of the inspired group of musicians was enough to put me off. And there was no jug of maple to pour as required - instead there was a tiny metal bowl partly filled for the table to share. Just doesn't say - Sugar - to me. And there was no Tire of course. But even though I can't say that Chef Alexandre Loiseau won my heart with his maple based creations - he did intrigue me. I'll definitely go back some day soon for dinner - just to put his pedal to the metal so to speak.