“Bad service :(”

Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Montreal
“Bad service :(”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

I went to Beauty's with a well-behaved toddler and they sat me in the back, which I didn't mind. After we ordered, they brought one plate, but didn't bring my food (a special).

I tried to get their attention, and I was totally ignored. It wasn't very busy, being 8:30am on a Sunday.

When I finally caught my waitress and pointed out that I hadn't received my food, and she gave me a look when I asked for it to go!?

She charged me full price. I spoke to another waitress and she acknowledged seeing the bagel sitting there, and told me I should have spoken up... I tried!

In the end, I ended up giving my breakfast to a homeless man. I hope it was good, because I doubt I'll go back to Beauty's. I really had hopes of adding it to my list of breakfast places.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank pezliz

“Overrated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

We've made many trips to Montreal. Although we stay at a bed and breakfast, we had to get breakfast elsewhere because of kitchen renovations. The owner highly recommended Beauty's, which was a short walk from where we were staying. It was a weekday, and we were seated immediately. The menu was pretty standard, which is fine if the food is good. I had an vegetable omelet that was okay, but nothing special. My husband had French toast, which was also okay. Montreal is supposedly known for its bagels. The bagel I had was bland and tasteless. We paid a small fortune for a couple tablespoons of cream cheese.

If you're looking for breakfast in the Plateau area of the city, skip Beauty's. There are loads of excellent restaurants along Boulevard Mont-Royal that serve breakfast.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank passionflora
Wakefield, Canada
“Sorry”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

I feel bad saying this because Hymie greets you at the front door, so it's almost like family but...
the food is overpriced for what you get. My husband had pancakes that tasted like Bisquick mix and burnt on one side (to a crisp), my omelet was flat, potato hash was burnt as well and the ham was simply luncheon meat fried. There is also no kids menu offered. To top it off the espresso machine was not functioning this morning :o( Wow I feel bad for writing this but for a bill that was over $50 for two adults and child, I could have eaten much better elsewhere. On a good note, the staff were great. Sorry Hymie!

• Visited December 2012
San Diego, California
“Lives up to the hype!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

This place is deeeeelicious!

Saw it on the food network, so just had to pay it a visit on my first trip to Montreal. As we approached we saw the longggg line and were slightly intimidated, but realized it must be good if so many people are waiting!

My friend and I hopped on line and within a few minutes the sweetest old man came out to welcome us us, and find out which parties were large and which were small. As we got closer to the front we realized he's the owner! How cool is it to have the owner welcoming you?!

They have a policy where they like the fill the table, so if you're a table of 2 and the people behind you are a table of 5, if a booth that seats 5 opens up they're going to get seated first! The line moves pretty quickly though and everyone on line starts chatting after a while so it's no biggie.

When we were seated we ordered the the most popular dishes, the Beauty's Special (freshly made poppy seed bagel with cream cheese, lox, tomato and onion) and the Mish mash omelette (egg, carmelized onion, pepper, hot dog and sausage; with a side of home fries and a freshly made bagel). It was sooooooo delicious! Totally worth the wait and then some!

Visited November 2012
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Excellent brunch in an old fashioned diner. The service was perfect and everybody was very welcoming with us especially Hymie.

• Visited October 2012