“Good Food, Poor Service = Worth Avoiding”
Review of Chez Delmo

Chez Delmo
Reserve with OpenTable
Chez Delmo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #90 of 5,769 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Cross street: corner St-Jean
Transit: Square Victoria Metro Station
Description: Classic fish & seafood in an elegant and friendly environment.
South Burlington, Vermont
“Good Food, Poor Service = Worth Avoiding”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

If you can put up with the poor service, the food almost makes it worth going to Chez Delmo. But given the prices, the bad service makes it worth avoiding.

The food was good: shrimp cocktail and halibut provencale. The shrimp was fresh, large, and tasty. The presentation was nice. The halibut was excellent. It was pan seared in garlic, capers and very little oil. It was extremely fresh and tasty. For some reason, the dish was offered with "fries, rice or mash" (no kidding, that's what he said). I asked for vegetables instead and got a nice mix of fresh vegetables with some great mushrooms. Why don't they normally offer the vegetables????????

The wine (a sauvignon blanc advertised as the house special at $50/bottle) was below standard and overpriced by about $35 (even taking into account restaurant margins on wine).

Dinner with appetizer (shrimp), main course (halibut), side of vegetables and wine came to $130.

The service was cold and disdainful.

I had made reservations for 1 (I am traveling on business) through Open Table. When I arrived, I was pretty much ignored and then treated as if I had just gotten off a tour bus and was followed by a horde of chattering tourists. I looked around, but no one was there. The restaurant was almost empty (it was early - 1900), but it still took a long time for someone to finally take my order.

The food came swiftly enough and was good, but I won't go back for the treatment. Luckily, this isn't the only decent seafood restaurant in Montreal.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank gregv_ma
chezdelmo, Owner at Chez Delmo, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you for your review, please rest assured that we take these comments very seriously so that we can improve our performance. I talked to the server and found out that you requested the wine bucket be next to your table, which he declined explaining that the space was limited. I am glad to tell you that we now have the possibility to do so.
We were surprised to learn that you thought the service was so bad: that night you were alone reading a book, were brought a reading lamp and were even asked whether the window seat was too cold. We also made sure you got one of the only 4 window tables, even though the restaurant did fill up as the night advanced.
Also, we do serve vegetables at Delmo's, systematically. We have been serving vegetables without additional charge for 80 years (since 1932). But since there are a lot of regulars at Delmo's, some of the clients have been coming 3-4 times a week for decades, and so we also ask whether they want fries, rice, purée or steamed potatoes with those vegetables so that they don't always get the same side dish. Hope this clarifies things.

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“What a great find!”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The open bar attached to the dinner room makes it very cool. As you walk in the staff makes you feel right at home. You directly notice the lighting is just right and the music is not too loud and the dining room is quite elegant. I started with the shrimp cocktail and it was really something unique. The martini glass was upside down and I found it very clever. My girlfriend decided to have one of the most expensive thing's on the menu, the dover sole. She was not disappointed, as I was persuaded to have a taste. Overall, highly recommend!

• Visited March 2013
4 Thank Gordon S
Montreal, Canada
“impeccable!”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Great seafood, great service. Very welcoming staff , efficient and friendly. Everything is gfresh and well prepared. Will go back

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank p b
montreal
“Amazing!!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

i used to go tho Delmo years ago and i can say this is the best version by far. First the decor is stunning ( especially the mural) and the atmosphere is very welcoming. I went for valentines and the place was completely full. I waited 10 min for my table (which is good i figure because people like it and do not want to leave) The menu was absolutely delicious, and the service was top. It was fun to see the owner chat with the regulars ( there are a lot of them at Delmo's) and to our surprise he came to our table and talked to us and was really nice. You get the feeling that there is a lot of effort to make guests enjoy their evening. But the best thing is the food: fresh and cooked perfectly. This is place is a must stop for all seafood lovers and connoisseurs, it doesn't get much better than Chez Delmo. Congratulations to the staff.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank cathy g
Montreal, Canada
“Disappointed!”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Valentine dinner event with high expectations! Was indeed looking forward to reconnecting with an old flame, restaurant that is, with my Valentine of 23 years. Both of us had fond memories and great expectations and, alas, were disappointed. Had to wait 15 minutes for our table as we arrived on time. Got glasses of water promptly and waiter took our orders, alas no Chilean Sea Bass, as I missed the last piece at 8:30PM, wow.... an early sell-out and definitely not a happy camper. My Valentine wanted to know if grilled salmon was filer or steak, took the waiter 10 minutes to find out. Going downhill...... Finally ordered salmon tartare along with grilled octopus. Had to ask for bread service after about 15 minutes of waiting for it to arrive. Grilled octopus was good, tartare was average. Valentine's salmon was dry but OK. Bottle of Sancerre completed the event. All in all, not worth the expense ($240 all in) and wont be returning. Much better value seafood restaurants in the neighborhood. Too bad.......

• Visited February 2013