“Not the best Steak restaurant. Barely acceptable food, terrible environment.”

Steak Frites St-Paul
Ranked #2,323 of 5,772 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Montreal
“Not the best Steak restaurant. Barely acceptable food, terrible environment.”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I've been to this Steak Frites other times, before it was renovated, and also to the other locations. I've never felt it's the best steak place in the city, but I was with a group that wanted to go. The new decor is similar to the previous decor, plain but alright, and the entrance has just moved around the corner. The building is cute and I love this new entrance. There's a courtyard for warmer weather. But the food is ordinary. Several of us had the tapas, which was 1 enormous shrimp, 1 scallop, a 4 oz. steak, about 6 green beans each, fries (all you can consume) and a bland sausage. The steak was pretty good, unlike other steaks I've had here, but overall this meal was rather greasy and overpriced. Others in our group had fish, various types, including shrimps (the mega ones again) and had the same 'greasy' reaction. One person had a profiterole for dessert and it's hard to do these wrong, so that was fine. It's a BYOWine place, which is good. What is terrible, though, is the atmosphere. We were on the second floor. The acoustics were horrendous. Sound bounced around like crazy and the noise level was so loud you couldn't hear the person seated next to you. There were 12 of us and 6 people left the minute the meal was over. I left shortly thereafter with a headache from the noise and believe me, it was a relief to get out on the street with the, by contrast, low volume street noises. I don't ever want to go back because the noise made what might have been at least an acceptable meal a torture. There is much better food in Montreal, all over the place, and I feel sad for this restaurant that they bothered with the reno and didn't soundproof the room. The quality of the food has gone down from when I first began going to Steak Frites, although as I said, the 4 oz steak was good, better than what I've had before. And although there was a cadre of wait people, when they brought out the tapas on long plates, they didn't serve it and different people had different configurations of this meal including other tapas, so we couldn't figure out who had what. One person got a salad that was meant for someone else. All this could have been avoided if they'd served the tapas instead of dropping dishes in the middle of the table. I had to ask 3 times for the large bottle of San Pellegrino I ordered and when it finally came it was flat. All in all not a great evening.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank bellesque

“Great food and desserts”
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Delicious hot bread as couvert, ee ordered salmon and steakvand everyone was satisfied eith their dishes. Ask fot the truffle chocolate cake for dessert, its baked on demand and is delicious!

Montreal, Canada
“Feels like France”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Likeed that it feels like some places we went too in France. Food was great and the steak sauce was to die for.
Parking is difficult.

Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Don't be put off by the entrance - the food is great!”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were greeted warmly and taken great care of. We had an amazing tuna/thon and frites - really tasty. The slightly weird approach to the restaurant might be off-putting but once inside, you can sit by the window and enjoy the view of the old port.

Visited September 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“ok...but”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

didn't know it was byob...that's ok...but waiter only offered water...did not make us aware there was soda...waiter didn't bother with us much...ordered fries for child...never brought it...thought she would eat from our plate...(which we know children want own dish).. so we had to order again...food okay...

• Visited August 2013