“Nice quiet place to dine outside”

Steak Frites St-Paul
Ranked #2,279 of 5,948 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My family chose this restaurant after just arriving to Montreal and walking down to the Old Port area around lunch time. The weather was nice outside, so we wanted to sit outside. This place was away from the main Old Montreal area and it looked okay so we took a chance. I actually ordered the steak-frites, which was good although the steak was a little small. My wife and one daughter ordered Club St-Paul sandwiches and my other daughter ordered the Filet de Poisson and they all enjoyed their meals. The server Alexis was attentive and helpful. All in all, the food was good, if not great, and the prices were okay, maybe a little pricey for lunch.

Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

They say you should bring your own wine
I tell you to bring your food as well because they surcharge you for a bad tasting food and it takes for ever to come
And the tables don't stand still they are like a balance board
Overall
It is the worst I ve ever had

1  Thank wasfar
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I wnet there as I heard via friends that the food was awesome and served professionally. We looked at the website which showed many pictures of all the items on the menu and it did look pretty good. We decided to pay a visit to try it, the one in Old Montreal on St-Laurent street.

At first, once you enter from the street there was no indication on where to go or where is the hostess stand, after a little maze and trying the 2nd floor there was a line up, without really knowing we figured this is where we had to go and waited for our turn. After a few minutes the hostess took us to our table which (I was struck) was about 20cm from a table of 4 having their meals. I mean who places tables so closes to another anymore....

Also I found a bottle of San Pellegrino and still water on our table even though we did not order any of it. I then noticed that these 2 bottles are set on EACH table, again first time that I see a forced sale where they put something on my table that I have to pay which I have not ordered.

So long story short, I ask for a the goat cheese and the tempura shrimp as tapas and then proceed with the St-Paul filet and the lamb as main meal. Tapas arrived within 10 minutes, they were good, hot and correct. However this is where the fun ends: it took 45 minutes to receive our main meal. Once we receive it the lamb looks a bit undercook (perception maybe) but the filet did not look like a filet at all. It was a dry piece of meat cut in half... What the ...?? After 10 minutes no waiter came by so I got up and mention they may have giver me the wrong plate. He confirms that indeed this is the filet which is a part of the shoulder and they do cut in half to offer faster cooking. I said that I was hoping a filet steak, a thick piece if meat, not dryed and cut in half, after explaining this to the waiter his answer was : " Why are'nt you going to eat it?" I explained for the 3rd time that I did not order this, and he kept answering that this is what I ordered and this is what I get.

To avoid a heated argument as the manager was arguing and pusging buttons I simply got up, asked for the check so I can leave.

I was not expecting poor food, I was not expecting poor service, I was not expecting someone to decide for me what I sould or should not like and furthermore I was expecting a menu where we can see what we order. Yup, that's right, no menu. Only items listed on darkboard around the walls in the restaurant.

Needless to say I would recommend any other places like la Queue de Cheval or any other steakhouse nearby Old Port.

1  Thank elmalik
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I love this place and cannot understand the carping by others on this forum. Perhaps other locations are poor in comparison, but we've enjoyed meals here in the Old Port location on many trips to Montreal over the past 9 years. The garlicky steak sauce and the bearnaise alone are worth the price of the meal. My husband doesn't eat red meat, but he always enjoys the grilled tuna or whatever fresh fish they have that day - with an order of bearnaise sauce on the side! The room is charming, the service was impeccable and we enjoyed our steaks. Lunch and dinner experiences provided the same quality of food and service. Their online reservations are wonky, so you should call instead.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We have never been to a Steak Frites St-Paul Restaurant before; but have been curious for some time to try one out. First and last impressions for both my wife and I are that it is First Class all the way: from the excellent service of our waitress, Véronic; the contemporary Parisian-style bistro with chalk-board menus on the wall; the steaks that are A-1, and finally the desserts which are superb. Vivre la différence! Nice warm individually baked breads were served to start - it's so nice to see how the butter melts first into the little crevices of the...

My wife chose for the appetizer, the scallops - er should I say scallop, as it was just one, however this just one was the equivalent in value of 100 average scallops - it actually melted in her mouth (I saw it with my own eyes) and the creamy sauce was incredibly good. For the main course she had the Filet Mignon 6 oz, but I've got to say we both thought they had mad a mistake and had given her a 9 or 12 oz instead (it was so big and thick a portion and incredibly juicy) with a lovely pepper dipping sauce, accompanied by green stringed beans and all-you-can-eat French fries (the way they were originally intended) and your choice of mayonnaise or ketchup dips.

I ordered as an appetizer the Calmars tapas, which was excellent especially with the creamy tartar sauce, although at first glance I thought it was not very much portion-wise. But after eating the full meal, it truly explains the meaning behind the term appetizer (to wet your appetite). For the main course I ordered the Medaillons St-Paul (3 nice thick portions of Steak with a more meaty flavour than Filet Mignon), accompanied by a mushroom dipping sauce, green stringed beans and all-you-can-eat frites. Excellent all-around.

For dessert my wife chose the Napoleon (Milles Feuilles) and I had the créme brulée - absolutely delicious! A cappuccino with cinnamon was perfectly prepared to help round out the excellent evening. Our thanks to the great service and authentic French cuisine. Félicitations à tous!

On a final note, it is refreshing to see that a chain restaurant can actually maintain the level of quality and service that befits the character of a first class restaurant. And, the fact that you can bring your own wine is a real plus as we felt as though the quality of the food was well worth the price and overall dining experience. We will definitely be back soon. Perhaps we will visit the original Steaks Frites St-Paul in Old Montreal...

1  Thank Desmond77