“Surprisingly Good”

Cuisines: Japanese, Fusion
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Their Dim Sum was different from the normal but delicious. Loved all the little appetizers. Service was excellent and the ambiance relaxing. Strange that they didn't serve an booze. It seems to be the norm that patrons bring their own wine or beer. The food was very tasty and I would go back anytime.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

It's a good restaurant, nothing exceptional.
Food is good but not incredible, service is good, location is excellent...
If you are looking for light healthy food this is the right place.
If you are looking for typical japanese ambiance, I won't suggest it.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

As part of exploring the restaurants in our neighbourhood, we needed to check out the local sushi restaurant. The bring your own wine option of this restaurant makes it very attractive for us. They have a good menu with lots of selection and we chose from the standard list of sashimi and rolls as well as their specialities menu. We were not disappointed. We were surprised by the size of the servings. My husband ordered based on the number of pieces indicated on the menu and each of his selections had at least one more piece thah he expected, which resulted in more food than he was able to eat. Because I am allergic to rice, I am always looking for rolls that can or are made without rice and luckily I they had 2 choices for me :-). Our waiter actually verified that one of the rolls he thought had no rice in reality did and he provided me with the correct information. I consider that great customer service.

The real draw back for us was that the restaurant was noisey. A lot of groups on the particular evening we eat and tables are rather close together.

We will certainly check out their take-out option in the near future.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

The food is not awful, but for the price you pay you could certainly do better. This restaurant was recommended to us on a recent trip to Montreal (thanks for nothing) and I can only shake my head. We tried to go twice, one time arriving 1 hour before their posted closing time (there were customers still dining inside) and were told they were 'closed'. They have an extensive menu, but each roll pretty much tasted the same. The clincher was when our waitress actually called us back and demanded a 15% tip on the bill. Given that we were one of only three tables at the time, and that she basically took our order, brought our food, and then brought the bill (we were low maintenance, in other words) I found that appalling. Avoid this place. You deserve better.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

i just think that you are being really hard on your review, ive been to wakamono couple of times and i think they have amazing sushis, they actually use real homemade tempura compared to the pre made one a lot of restaurants tend to use .About the gyozas and the ebi shumai, or shrimp crystal dumpling like you called them , they are both really good, a vegetarian dumpling will most probably be filled with similar items as a egg roll, i suggest you choose pork ones next time. i love gyozas, had them at nobu, morimoto etc, wakamonos are actually pretty good, one of the reasons i actually go back. about the shumai, the person should know the difference between an asian chili sauce that is actually served with that dish and a cherry sauce, which im sure, the restaurant doesnt even carry.

I do not work at wakamono, im Maitre D in another restaurant located on saint laurent. I sincerely think that your review is harsh, too personal and in no way constructive to the potential futur clients and to the restaurant. You didnt like your experience fine , but it doesnt give you the right to bash it completely and made ridiculous calls like shrimp crystal dumpling and cherry sauce, first cherry sauce is an american "chinese" condiment and it would never be serve in a japanese restaurant. maybe you had too much of buffet Fu lam or mandarin.

1  Thank Alexismtl514