“If it ain't broke ...”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Ville-Marie
Cross street: Notre-Dame
Transit: Station de metro Place d'Armes Place D'Armers Metro station
Description: Four star French classic restaurant located in Old Montreal.
Reviewed May 28, 2019

We recently returned to Montreal for our second visit and decided to have dinner at Bonaparte because we enjoyed it so much the first time. To our delight, the food was as good (maybe even better) than we remembered. We keep a journal during our travels and discovered that the tasting menu that we had on this visit to Bonaparte was essentially identical to the one that we had on our first visit. So, you may want to fault the restaurant for not being more creative; but, when the food is this good ... there is absolutely no reason for change. For me, one of the hallmarks of a great restaurant is when they serve a plate with multiple components and each is expertly prepared (despite differences in cooking times / techniques). That was the case with my Dover sole with the fish and each vegetable on the plate cooked to perfection. Clearly, the chef is a perfectionist and demands the highest levels of attention to detail from his team. While the dining room is elegant and the service is outstanding, I still find the atmosphere to be very friendly and casual and the prices to be fair. This will definitely be the first restaurant that I come back to on my next trip to Montreal !

1  Thank Bill A
Write a ReviewReviews (1,980)

Reviewed May 28, 2019 via mobile

We had high expectations coming here, but we unfortunately were not wowed. The atmosphere is lovely. We sat in a side room with brick walls and beautiful moulding. Very cozy. The service was spot on amazing. The food just fell a little short for us. The escargot was cooked to perfection. I just didn’t care for how it was prepared with the salsa. I do prefer the traditional way with garlic and melted cheese. I had the blue fin tuna entree. The red cabbage was out of this world and the vegetables were done well, but the tuna itself was a bit dry and lacking flavor. My husband said the same for his filet. His mushroom ravioli for appetizer was ok. The mushroom filling and sauce was delicious, but the ravioli pastry itself was almost too light and breaking apart. Our desserts were delicious. I had the sampler and my husband had the chocolate mousse. The chocolate mousse was to die for.

Reviewed May 28, 2019 via mobile

We came here for a birthday, and it was truly the best restaurant in Montreal and out of our entire stay in Canada overall. We had the pre-set menu— and the dinner was absolutely exquisite. The staff was welcoming and the service was extraordinary, the wine selection was extensive, and everything was overall superb. I recommend trying the chocolate chip soufflé for dessert if you are a chocolate lover. This was one of the most memorable restaurants we have ever dined at. I highly recommend it!

1  Thank Berta G
Reviewed May 22, 2019 via mobile

Perfect for romantic evening. Except the biologic Sancerre wine, everything was perfect. Ask for the table in the window by the street. :)

2  Thank Melissa B
Reviewed May 17, 2019

With the weather abysmal while staying in the Bonaparte hotel it was an easy choice to have dinner in their restaurant & so glad we did. Making a reservation in house was easy and at the time we preferred especially as the restaurant it seemed was full when we were there. We were even given a very nice table with a view of the street.
We went for the tasting menu which seemed to cover most of what we had wanted anyway from the a la carte plus more. They are the biggest portions I've ever had in a tasting menu so we were very pleasantly full afterwards. Everything was a delight and it was evenly paced to give time to digest a little after each course & savour the wine. It is a good wine list too, mainly focusing on France as one would expect in a French restaurant but had some nice selections from most well known wine areas. The wine list also includes a fair number of half bottle choices & wines by the glass.
The staff were very efficient, polite & helpful, always on hand to top up our wine glasses. Great food, wine, company with a little romance makes for a perfect & memorable evening.

Date of visit: March 2019