“Delicious food, excellent service”
Review of Bonaparte

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Ville-Marie
Cross street: Notre-Dame
Transit: Station de metro Place d'Armes Place D'Armers Metro station
Description: Four star French classic restaurant located in Old Montreal.
Reviewed July 6, 2016

Brought local customers to this restaurant (which is part of a hotel). They didn't know the place but told me they were really impressed. The menu offered a wide variety of choices (a la carte and prix fixe), was reasonsable, and the food was delicious by everyone's accounts.

Service was attentive but polite, not overbearing and disruptive.

Highly recommended.

Date of visit: July 2016
Write a reviewReviews (2,023)

Reviewed July 6, 2016

Had an amazing meal here with friends on our last night in Montreal. The five of us were there at opening and were quite lucky that another table canceled earlier in the day and we were able to get seats on an otherwise fully booked night. Before even entering, the menu posted outside caught our eye.

In our group of five, four of us ordered the tasting menu. One had special gluten-free dietary restrictions and they were happy to alter every dish for her as needed. One was a vegetarian and ordered off the ala carte menu. They were even so kind to bring our friend gluten free bread and a separate butter just for her.

The first course on my tasting menu was the lobster bisque. It was smooth and creamy with good lobster flavor. The second course was foie gras creme brulee. This dish was fantastic. The creamy foie gras with the caramelized crispy top served with bread and a bit of apple was a fantastic combination of flavors. Third course was escargot on cripsy filo dough. The escargot was the most tender escargot I have ever had although normally I like a little bit of chew in my escargot. Fourth course was a simple pear sorbet palate cleanser in champagne. Simple but refreshing. I was fully ready for my main course by then. For my fifth and main course, I had the lamb chops. They were cooked to a perfect medium rare and served with a red wine reduction sauce. It was the most tender lamb chops I have ever had. I would go back again just for those lamb chops. The sixth and final course was an array of desserts including creme brulee, cheesecake, chocolate cake, and raspberry jelly cake. All were very good although I was not a big fan of the raspberry jelly cake.

The entire tasting menu was also a great value at $78. Coming from New York City, this was a steal. We were all incredibly happy at the end of our meal that we just happened to run into this gem of a restaurant. To top it off, the service was also impeccable and our waitress happily catered to our group's dietary restrictions. I highly recommend this restaurant and would definitely come back again on my next trip to Montreal.

2  Thank Paul S
Reviewed July 6, 2016 via mobile

My friend and I were in Montreal overnight and made a reservation at Bonaparte to have dinner. The building is in Old Montreal, and this building was built in the 1800's. Beautifully appointed rooms, white linen tablecloths, and excellent service. We had the Chicken with Brie and sage, it was artfully arranged and delicious. The chicken was very moist and tasty, and there were plenty of vegetable. I had a lovely Soufflé for dessert.

Plenty of choices to choose from the menu. I had a cocktail, a main, and a dessert for under $60.

A lovely experience

Reviewed July 6, 2016

Excellent service and atmosphere in Old Montreal. We had the tasting menu and was very good. The food is tasty and well prepared. It is not nouveau cuisine but good. Would recommend .

Reviewed July 6, 2016

We visited Bonaparte for our anniversary and we had a great time! We did the prix-fixe meal and thought it was a great value, a great ambiance, great service, and wonderful food!

Date of visit: June 2016