“Delicious food but a bit busy”
Review of Bonaparte

Bonaparte
Reserve with OpenTable
Bonaparte is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 5,944 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Cross street: Notre-Dame
Transit: Station de metro Place d'Armes Place D'Armers Metro station
Description: Four star French classic restaurant located in Old Montreal.
Reviewed August 20, 2014

So good. I had maple-syrup flavored onion soup (was much better than it sounds), chicken livers, pork in Dijon sauce and chocolate mousse for dessert. It was quite busy but worth it for the food selection. I went fairly early in the evening and by the time I left, it was crowded and noisy so go early if you can.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,675)

Reviewed August 20, 2014

My boyfriend and I were greeted and sat very promptly, we had made reservations ahead of time on opentable. Service was excellent, our waiter explained the menu very well.

We both ordered the 7 course tasting menu and no drinks, the entire meal came up to $190 for two people. I feel like for the variety it was a good price, but the quality really suffered, only three things really stood out (rack of lamb, shrimp and scallops, and foie gras creme brulee) I've commented on all the dishes we tried below:

Lobster bisque enhanced with Ginger (great, intense lobster flavour)
Salad of mixed greens with pine nuts and parmesan cheese (good, a balanced mixed of vegetables)
* * * *
Warm goat cheese and roasted almonds in filo dough (okay, exactly what you would think filo and goat cheese tastes like, very very gamey)
Duck foie gras crème brulée, sautéed apples (interesting, good, thought it would be salty, but turned out to be sweet)
* * * *
Shrimp and scallop harmony flavoured with vanilla (excellent, very flavourful creamy sauce on the shrimp)
Snails in parsley fricassee and Provençale style vegetables (good, a little cold in temperature)
* * * *
Pear and tarragon sorbet (sweet, but refreshing between the appetizers and main, tastes like pear sorbet in champagne)
* * * *
Beef filet mignon seasoned with peppercorns and cognac (nothing special, just okay, not a lot of flavour but still tender)
Roasted rack of lamb and port wine ’jus’ (great, really juicy, did not taste gamey at all, excellent flavour)
* * * *
A Symphony of homemade desserts (okay, a varied selection of cakes, nothing stood out)

Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

Bonaparte continues to deliver the same incredible dining experience every time we visit. You will be delighted and pleased with the food, the service and the best grand marnier soufflés anywhere.
Between the duck, lobster, tuna and chicken entrees it was a much contested debate with the duck getting a narrow win.
We like this place and make it a regular stop when we're in town!

Reviewed August 19, 2014

The set menu had 6 choices in each course, and everything we ate was lovely. The service is friendly and it was an enjoyable evening.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

My wife and I definitely wanted to have a great french meal while in quebec. After reading reviews on tripadvisor of restaurants within walking distance we decided on Bonaparte. We did not have reservations and arrived around 8 with our 3 kids. It was only a 15 minute wait for the table and we were allowed to sit at the bar while we waited.
The ambiance is very upscale and the service was amazing. The bread was fresh and excellent. I had the escargot for an appetizer and I savored every bit of it. My wife started with the tomato soup also delicious. While they did not have a kids menu they were very accommodating providing for the kids tastes. For the main meal I had steak, my wife had the salmon with shrimp and scallops. My kids had fettucini and chicken. They had a variety of wine choices to suit the meal and were happy to provide recommendations. Wine is by the glass, half bottle or bottle. Everything was prepared to perfection. For desert some menu items require 18 minutes for preparation (stated in menu) After my profiterole arrived I didn't even wait to get the picture before starting in. While I ordered a strawberry liqueur to drink with desert I found it too strong for my liking.
While the restaurant was exactly what we were looking for you need to be prepared for the price. Entrees are between $30 and $40 canadian. Wine starts around $10 for the glass.
If I am back in Montreal I will definitely be going back to Bonaparte although I will probably leave the kids behind and get there a little earlier so my wife and I can thoroughly enjoy a romantic evening.