“Amazing Hidden Gem in the McGill Ghetto!”
Review of Amelio's - CLOSED

Amelio's
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Fast Food
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed August 8, 2012

What is considered a McGill "Ghetto" institution 25 years ago, Amelio's makes pizza the "old fashioned" way; hand-tossed and homemade. With a second location in the heart of Outremont, Amelio's is the perfect place for any kind of pizza lover with a plethora of simple and elegant pizzas like all-dressed (green pepper, mushroom and pepperoni), pepperoni and Italian sausage. This hidden gem also offers unique selections like the Reuben, BBQ chicken and Club pizzas. Finally, I can't forget Amelio's signature pizzas like the Florentine and cheese-loving white pizza which has not 3, not 4 but 5 cheeses!!

Reviewed August 3, 2012

My family in I were visiting Montreal from Washington, DC. We LOVED this place! My husband and kids said it was the BEST pizza they ever had! I had the veggie lasanga and it was VERY good! If we ever go back to Montreal we will eat here again. The staff and service was great also. The place is not big and can get crowded but its worth it.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

When I attended McGill University in the late 80's my friends and I loved eating at Amelio's. I recently went back and to my surprise/delight found that it is still the same - a very small low key no frills eatery that serves wonderful food. As usual I ordered the pizza and I was not disappointed.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

From the reviews I've read, I was expecting much better food. I really have had better pizza even from a 2 for 1 delivery joint. It was overly saucy and heavy on the cheese. Does no one believe in "less is more" anymore? It was edible, but definitely not memorable. The pizza is served on the metal dish it is cooked on which is nice if you want to share with those you are dining with as you can pass the dish around while keeping your plate. The pizza comes with a tiny salad. Again, edible but not memorable. The pizzas are offered in different sizes and with a limitted number of toppings. There's really nothing more to say about the food.
We ate outside on their patio which is about 4 steps down from street level, so you are away from the sidewalk traffic. The interior looks quite bare and not as trendy as some of the other restaurants on that happening strip. The service was very good. Our server was very attentive, friendly and made every effort to speak English when she heard us speaking. Their beverage list is extensive so after a few drinks, maybe the food tastes better!

Reviewed June 2, 2012

This restaurant is really no fuss. The menu is on the placemat and offers a choice of a dozen types of pizzas, some submarine sandwiches and pasta along with a few different salads to start. The prices are reasonable. The pizza sauce has a nice freshness about it, the crust is okay, and they do offer a whole wheat version on the small pizza. It is a walk down and they have a few outdoor tables in the courtyard, so if you want to eat al fresco, you won't be on the sidewalk.
If you want a fast, simple meal with friends, this place can go on your list.
It does close earlier than other restaurants so take that into consideration when planning your meal.