“Overpriced.”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I ate there 5 or 6 times in the past ten years, and always promised myself never to go back.
Montreal offers such a strong culinary scene, that Alexandre & Fils fails to impress: food quality is less than average and prices compare to the city's top restaurants.

A friend organized a party there last week and here's what I had:
- a small salad (tons of regular supermarket lettuce, five green beans, a tiny piece of foie gras);
- salmon (overcooked salmon on a few lentils);
- flan (regular boring flan you can get from any supermarket).
I could have prepared this meal myself, it was very disappointing.
Wine was good, but expensive.

Yet, the place was full. What does it have going for itself? a bit of parisian atmosphere, which basically attracts a crowd of European expats, nostalgic diplomats, 70 year-old artists, and retired politicians.

Waiters act is if they work in Paris and chat up clients, round tables are small like a real bistro, meals are served until 2:00 am, you listen to old French music, and there's a cigar lounge.

I think this restaurant was created in a period where Montreal did not have many French restaurants, in the late 70s, and the chef could get by serving expensive imported food to homesick expats. Since the 90s, the restaurant market has changed, thanks to the arrival of creative young chefs from all over the world.

Today, Alexandre & Fils lives off its regular expat clientele, private parties, and downtown tourists, thanks to its personable owner and staff, even though food is bad and expensive.

For good food on Peel Street, try Ferreira (Portuguese) or Entrecôte St-Jean (French).

I don't plan on ever eating there again... until someone drags me in one more time to a parisian-style party.

2  Thank OBM97

Reviewed November 9, 2012

It was our second day in Montreal and as we were heading back to our hotel and saw a large pink neon sign read Champagne Bar, and it caught our interest. To be honest, the first two days in Montreal was scenic and the food excellent, but the locals were indifferent and stoic to say the least. But it all changed when walked into this place, and quite frankly was the start to a pleasant time in our remaining three days in Montreal. We did not eat here because it was late and planned on having one drink. Two and half hours later, my husband and I was having a great conversation and laughter with the bartender(female), server, and some of the locals sitting nearby. My husband discovered a drink liked by the locals (Irish Car Bomb) and joined in. Overall, the bartender and one of the servers changed our attitude towards Montreal.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We dropped in at this restaurant early in the evening, without a reservation, on route to the theatre. The staff was bustling and it didn't seem they cared we were there. Until we were seated. Suddenly, the owner, manager, maitre d' and various other gentlemen came to greet and welcome us. The female staff were well dressed and all seemed to be donning hats. We felt like we were in Paris. The food was delicious and the service sublime.

The outdoor patio is clearly a cigar-smokers' haven and the bar side of the restaurant was lively and seemed gregarious. On our next trip to Montréal, we hope to return to experience the bar.

I highly recommend this restaurant as a truly French experience.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I felt like I was in Paris...! Expect good service, very small cafe tables that can hardly take two plates, fantastic French bread and seriously good French food. So good that my boyfriend and I came back the next day. We had fallen in love. Do not expect anything of a Quebec experience. It is purely Parisian and arrogant. Most people having lunch there seem to be regulars and business people. I had calf's liver that was breathtaking with mashed potatoes and broccoli. The second day I had the herring with boiled potatoes and it was quite fabulous as well. For dessert we shared a plate of fresh strawberries with a chocolate sauce. Food wise it was a fantastic experience. Price wise it is expensive (even without drinking any alcohol). But definitely worth a shot when you wanna feel Parisian.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Visited Chez Alexandre for an early eevening supper. Never been to this restaurant before and I do not see myself coming again. It wants and it is advertised to chic and exquisite, it is nothing of the two (in my opinion, other guest can disapprove).

Selected a Wednesday evening to be less crowded and indeed, inside were only 3-4 tables occupied and the main excitement was on the little terase in front where you rub elbows with the people at other tables. Maybe this is trendy, I do not know, maybe I grew old for that.

The food is not exquisite, is OK, nothing out of this world. Portions are small but it was OK for an evening dinner. Prices are out of this world for what they offer. I visited quite a lot of restaurants in Canada and USA, did not find many to sell a glass of wine for $12 or a pint of draught beer for $9.50. As others said, there is no menu for beers, no idea how much is until your bill comes.
Even in the dinning room the tables are so small and very close together to maximize the number of guests. Again.....trendy?!...probably.

Got the evening menu with appetizer or soup, main course, desert and coffee for $39. In two people, 2 beers and two cappucinos instead of coffee came up to $135 with tax and tip. Honestly, I can eat at steak houses and other places and we can be 4, more relaxed atmosphere and better food for sure.

If you want to eat a burger, drink a beer and watch the street on the terace for $30-40 then this is the place, on topr of that the girls are serving your table are nice and cute.

That pretty much sums it up. Saw it, tried it, done - I did my part.

Conclusion: Not for my taste, I had better and I am trying my luck somewhere else.