“Mediocre veg asian”
Review of Yuan

Yuan
Ranked #817 of 6,066 Restaurants in Montreal
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Olympic Park & Hochelaga-Maisonneuve (HoMa)
Reviewed July 13, 2014

The allure of this place was the buffet (not really a buffet--- you get unlimited plates), but we got there less than 1 hour before closing, so we were told this was no longer an option. We thought about going to ChuChai, but decided to stay. We got bento boxes, which had decent portions of food, but the prices were commensurate. The faux meat was not well flavored and the spices lacked pizzazz. The service was fine, and the decor was clean/basic but we ultimately wished we had gone to ChuChai, which we'd heard great things about. Definitely should not be a priority on your list.

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Love the fact that you can get heaping amounts of food that's delicious.

The staff is friendly and quick and the ambiance is warm. definitely a must for big eater vegetarians!

Reviewed January 23, 2014

First of all: ambiance: very cheap and pretty kitsch atmosphere. Chairs are not confortable, the table wasn't stable.
Second: what you can eat:
you have a choice between the "all you can eat" for 20CAD on Saturdays and the "à la carte" option. We choose the "all you can eat" so to try a lil bit of everything. We finally realized it wasn't worthy because of the service. Our waitress was definitely not all there and was extremely slow. We asked for 6 different dishes, we've been told not to order everything at once as the policy of the restaurant is that you will be charged if you don't eat what you ordered. The basic idea is right, and I agree with it: all you can eat doesn't mean that you can order 100 dishes and than waiste 90 because in any case you pay just 20 dollars. Problem is: we first asked for a soup and rice. We had just the soup. 15 minutes later we have been asked if we need something else. We ordered 2 main dishes, The food literally took forever to come out. Then we asked for something else. Our waitress said "Sure! I'll be right back!" then proceeded to never bring us the items. Basically we sat in a booth for 30 minutes before walking up to the front counter and finding out that they had "totally forgotten about us". All in all: we spent 1h and half in that restaurant, we had just 2 dishes in the appetizers size and a soup. Nobody apologized because of that, which leads me to think that is pretty normal (so I don't suggest this restaurant)
The food: oh my god...never tasted such as flavourless food. I do know very well the vegetarian cuisine as I don't eat meat and I swear in 20 years of being a vegetarian, I never had something so flavourness. It was TERRIBLE. Seriously, there are a lot of vegetarian restaurant (Thai vegetarian as well), to choose before this particular one.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Yuan offers an extensive menu of Japanese, Chinese, and Thai dishes, all completely vegetarian (although not necessarily all vegan--these are marked with an "nv" on the menu). If you're a recent convert to vegetarianism or veganism, this place is for you because a wide variety of mock meats are offered, including some unusual ones such as mock lamb, eel, and duck.

But what really makes this place stand out is the "buffet." I use that word hesitantly because it isn't a buffet in the traditional sense of a lineup of lukewarm food in steam trays. Instead, you'll be handed a checklist of about 50 items that are made to order from the kitchen. There are little golf pencils on the table you use to make your selections before handing the checklist back to the server. You can order as many portions as you like as many times as you like (they'll give you new checklists), with the caveat that you will be charged additionally for any food left on the table at the end. The portions are small, but this will allow you to try many of their unique selections such as fried taro balls, the "golden purse" (a fried pastry containing a delicious curried potato mix), mock eel, and Shanghai noodles. The food is brought out as it comes out of the kitchen one or two small portions at a time, so just as you finish one selection another mouth-watering dish is being brought to your table. The cost for this wonderful experience is a mere $20 on weekends and $17.99 on weeknights. And if you're visiting from out of town, the location is very easy to find near the southeast corner of Sherbrooke and St-Denis.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Yuan has, hands down, the best vegetarian food I've had in Montreal. Last night's meal was absolutely joyful; it's been a long time since I smiled while out for dinner just because of how beautiful the dishes looked piled on a table, and what a steal the price is ($17.99 for the all-you-can-eat menu).

Some highlights (I'll omit the word 'mock' before all the proteins): salt & pepper seafood, beef & broccoli (the beef was in shavings, very thin and excellent texture), crispy battered fish in a lemon sauce, mouth-watering smoky Singapore noodles, bbq crispy duck, tender edamame, PHENOMENAL taro balls... the list could go on.

The place could use some sound baffling (hard floors, walls & furniture make it a bit noisy and cold), and they desperately need a better drinks men. Well, a drinks menu at all - they provide water on the tables, but that's it. Even if they can't get a liquor license, they should have a couple of teas, and perhaps some soft drinks or juices.

I cannot stress enough how much of a value you're getting; my friend and I discovered our eyes were bigger than our stomachs with a table piled high with amazing, flavourful dishes with really exceptional mock-meat textures. They charge a small fee if you want to take home leftovers (totally reasonable considering otherwise you could order enough food to feed yourself for a week).

If you want to try something new, head to Yuan and bring a group. That way you can get the whole menu to try and enjoy a leisurely meal picking at this and that.