“Great Ambience”
Review of L'Autre Version - CLOSED

L'Autre Version
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Transit: metro Champs-de-Mars
Description: The restaurant L'Autre Version, a pleasure bistronomic in the heart of Old-Montreal, where the discovery and innovation leads you toward an experiment ... Montreal style. Express Breakfast and lunch monday to friday Homemade products or international import products shop open for everyone 7/7 Terrace - events Takeaway service or fresh products to go
Toronto, Canada
“Great Ambience”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Old Montreal is hard to beat. L'Autre Version is a great little restaurant with that typical charm. The food is predictably excellent. Plus they offer beers from the microbrewer, Le Diable. The others in our party had wine, and there are many to choose from, naturally. There is an outdoor courtyard, which looks very pleasant, however the weather was not our friend on that occasion.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Hunterboeuf

New Albany, Ohio
“Wow great spot!! Must come back...”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Found this on TA App for the iPhone while partner was driving through downtown to a destination on the Northeast side of the city. Rated very well and when we got there we immediately felt like this was going to be a great restaurant, decor was very cool a mix of the nouveau and the old original architecture and brick of the building. Looked like it had a cool outdoor seating available as well. To the food >> The bread plate came with 4 condiments, balsamic, light olive oil, Kosher salt, and an awesome red pepper / humus spread. The amuse-bouche was a piece of Canadian bacon topped with diced olives and capers, really good start for the tongue. Had a very fresh greens salad with shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano. I had the Tilapia and Scallops entree and the plate was a work of art, flavors were incredible. The only item I could say needed to be improved was the temperature of the entree; mine was not as hot as I like it to be... Overall a great spot and I really enjoyed the experience! Will definitely be back.

• Visited May 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Try the Tasting Menu”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We had the Tasting Menu, and it was well worth the steep price. There were about 8 courses, and each (except one) came with a matched wine. The food was excellent - small portions of octopus, scallops, duck breast, buffalo and more. The highlight was a very small but amazing foie gras. The service was fantastic - our waiter clearly had a passion for the food and wine he was serving, and he transmitted this passion to us.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Nigel L
Montreal, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Food was great, service was excellent and our waiter gave us even more than we asked. Wine was fantastic. I would go back anytime!!!!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank BenjaminMarchand
Toronto, Canada
“Perfectly yummy food experience!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My forever man and I found this restaurant during an afternoon walk in Le Vieux Montreal just a few days ago. He was craving foie gras and I was craving scallops, 2 items not hard to find in Montreal restaurants. But, for some reason, the description on the menu outside L'Autre Version showed a unique presentation of these foods that brought us back a few hours later for dinner.

Oh my goodness! Marc and I don't go out for dinner often but neither of us is a foody neophyte either. We both love to eat and cook, using restaurants for the sensuality of inspiration and experience. So, we like to go to good ones. This was the best overall eating experience I have had for quite a few years.

First of all, the service was amazing! The 2 servers were both passionate and attentive, giving us bilingual descriptions of the courses served with obvious appreciation of their chefs. A place of this caliber could easily have a snooty air about it but I felt completely at home with the atmosphere and the servers. Warm and genuine.

The food, wow, what to say! My words cannot do justice to the blend of textures, the perfection of temperature and doneness in each course, and the creative presentation.

Marc got his foie gras as an appetizer served with sweet potato and cardamom cake, almond and caramelized onion purée, sea-buckthorn berry jam. My appetizer was goat cheese flan with beet declination, half-dried tomatoes, cider pearls, sweet and salty nuts. Those cider pearls were so beautiful on the plate, little flavour bursts of apple cider in the mouth. I have to say that each plating was gorgeous.

For the main, I did get my scallops, presented beautifully in a plate divided into 4 parts so that different foams and mousses could bathe the perfectly seared scallots in each of its own unique flavours. A smoked herring consomme tea was poured over one section in which the scallop rested on quinoa and parmesan.
Marc had the duck with artichoke and saskatoon berry sauce. The duck was rare and pink, which is a nice change from the overdone duck drowning in cherry or orange sauce that you usually find. Just a treat!

After a meal like that, dessert is necessary...to clear the palate, of course! Marc had all chocolate and since lychees are one of my favourite foods, I had something called Snow White which is White chocolate cream, lychee sorbet, coco crumble, fried rice noodles, raspberry crumble and glaze....in other words, pure heaven! Yum!

We had selected a Riesling to guide us through all courses. Initially expecting to move on to another after the appetizer, the white was a nice light accompaniment to our varied dishes right through to dessert.

I have already recommended this restaurant to several people and hope that they go. I do know that they will not be disappointed. Thank you L'Autre Version for a wonderful food experience!!

• Visited March 2013