“Beautiful restaurant and tasty too”

Vargas Steakhouse & Sushi
Reserve with OpenTable
Vargas Steakhouse & Sushi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #233 of 5,710 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Canadian, Sushi
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Description: We are located in the heart of downtown Montreal at the corner of University and Rene Levesque streets. We are steps away from the Queen Elizabeth hotel and a short distance from most downtown hotels. We offer delicious Angus steaks, fresh seafoood, and a terrific sushi bar.
Medicine Hat, Canada
“Beautiful restaurant and tasty too”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Located on Rene Levesque Blvd. just down from the Fairmont Inn Queen Elizabeth, this restaurant was a nice find after a long day. I walked in in jeans and a hoodie and immediately felt slightly under dressed but hey, I'm a tourist. Nestled in a corner table (fantastic for a people watcher), the journey began. I observed the servers avoid me until it was no longer avoidable and someone drew the short straw (I didn't smell, honestly). He was very pleasant, brought me my drink, presented my food and was never to be seen at my table again. I also observed three different servers visit the table next to me no less than 10 times while I was there; perhaps their money smelled better than my corporate credit card. On a plus side, the food was exquisite; creative, tasty, nicely plated and a generous quantity. I'd go back and recommend readers of this review stop in as we'll but I also recommend dressing up a bit to aid the experience.

• Visited September 2013
vargaschef, Manager at Vargas Steakhouse & Sushi, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
hi quartag5:

thank you for the kind owrds on the food here at vargas.

i do apologize if the service left a bad taste. i know from personal experience that bad service can ruin an otherwise great meal, and i just want you to know that we are constantly trying to maintain high service standards.

so thank you for choosing Vargas, and if your business brings you through Montreal again, i would love to have the chance to prove it to you that this is not the norm here at Vargas, but rather an isolated incident.

please send me an email if you do come back to montreal and i will make sure the next review you give Vargas is 5 stars!

david seaman
executive chef
vargas montreal

• Turkish first
Branford, Connecticut
“Well worth it !”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Went here basically because it was within walking distance to Hotel. and recommend by Hotel staff. Not just a Steakhouse. also have wicked good fish meals and some good sushi to. Not cheap but nice meal for the money as compared to some other overpriced places in Old Town.

• Visited August 2013
Montreal
“A Must Try”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Great decor...Polished, friendly service (Thanks Vito).. Super menu with both meat and seafood choices. Try the Oysters Rockefeller - outstanding! Filet Mignon could be cut with a fork -sooo tender. House fries not greasy, piping hot and sprinkled with paprika- terrific. My wife had the Scallops with bacon - perfectly cooked. No room for desserts which looked tempting. Excellent wine choices by the glass. Will definitely return.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank PadanMontreal
Houston, Texas
“A Jewel”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

After looking online for a bit longer than I wanted for just the right place to have my final dinner in Montreal after a successful conference, I decided to just take a walk and hopefully come upon something interesting. I wasn't disappointed when I spied Vargas from across the street and my curiosity was aroused. After perusing the menu at the front door, I decided it fit the bill for what I was after and upon entering with a warm welcome from the host, I knew I made the right choice.
I was quickly led to a table and without hesitation, a waiter was there to take my drink order. I was pleasantly suprised to find Glenmorangie 18 year on the menu, so that decision was easy. The hard part was deciding on my appetizer. I settled on the Big Eye Tataki Tuna; it was excellent! Slightly seared and served blue with a small salad, I found it paired well with the Scotch.
Soon afterward I received my filet mignon and it was cooked exactly to their specifications. I ordered mine with scallops. The scallops were slightly overcooked; thus the only reason I didn't give an excellent rating. The meal was paired with a red wine as suggested by my server.
The dinner was completed with a cappuccino; thus my appetite was quenched, my taste buds satisfied and my wallet not too emptied.
If you find yourself walking down Rene-Levesque Quest in Montreal, stop in at Vargas for a jewel of a dinner!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank TravelinSteve2013
Andover, Massachusetts
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This restaurant was reommended to us by the hotel after finding out the restaurant we wanted to go to was not open. Although it is called a steakhouse it has everything including sushi which seems to be popular. There prices are moderate, the food is very good and they get an interesting crowd.

Visited August 2013