“very slow service as ifyou dont exist, food is amazing though”

Vargas Steakhouse & Sushi
Reserve with OpenTable
Vargas Steakhouse & Sushi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #279 of 6,004 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Description: We are located in the heart of downtown Montreal at the corner of University and Rene Levesque streets. We are steps away from the Queen Elizabeth hotel and a short distance from most downtown hotels. We offer delicious Angus steaks, fresh seafoood, and a terrific sushi bar.
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

we went me and my friend march 17.
the maybe one day famous philippe couillard was there. the focus was on him and his family.
it took them 15 minutes to ask us what we wanted to drink, the 20 for us to order and took 40 minutes for the meal and the place was empty.
i love the atmosphere meaning decor and food though.
one waiter was so on hands and courteous.
the others i had to run after them for water i even got up to serve myself
my favorites are th raw oysters woww and mango tango 15$ tartare with scallops caviar and raw yummy tuna with fresh slices of mango
but i honestly love almost all the menu.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We arrived at Vargas for our reservation and placed in the back room where it became quickly evident that our server was no where in sight or was it he had lost site of us. Orders were placed, water glasses left empty all evening. The meals were delivered. The appetizers we just ok...the tempura was heavily fried and very greasy. Two of the entree orders were for prime rib..the other two orders were duck and lobster tails. The food was at best mediocre. The server never asked how we were enjoying our dinner...think he lost us again! We complained to the manager about the one order prime rib, it was unacceptable. The manager replied that both pieces were from the same area of the roast. He further informed us that the larger piece had been stewed in the meat juices...roast beef? We were further informed it was not their problem, it was ours. In the end he adjusted our bill. The server disappeared for a prolonged period of time and then brought our bill.

All in all totally disappointing.

3  Thank Stephanie G
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great service, excellent steak and pasta dishes. Don't bother with the lobster add on, over cooked and a little dry. but the steak was great

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I forgot the cardinal rule: Never eat too close to the hotel.

I stay at the Queen Elizabeth frequently, and I should know better. But I was staying with family this time, we were tired, and didn't want too walk far in the February cold.

The concierge at the Queen E recommended this place. It's a lie. You walk into the empty, big box dining room, and as soon as you open the menu you know you're in trouble. This place is extremely confused about what it is. Sushi, duck confit, prime rib and poutine all share an unholy alliance.

Panicking, I got a burger and poutine. Burger was pretty good, if greasy. Fries were meh, shredded cheese on the pouter (WTF?) but gravy was good. My wife ordered the filet mignon, thinking they couldn't screw it up. They did. The béarnaise sauce that came with it was cold, lumpy and greasy. Her spinach salad was wilted. The mashed potatoes were pasty. My son had eel sushi. He barely touched it.

These people should be ashamed to be running a restaurant this bad, at these prices, in a city like Montreal. It's obviously a trap set for clueless tourists who are disoriented and impatient to eat. Seriously, walk a few blocks more and have a decent meal.

I was also hugely disappointed in the Queen Elizabeth for having this pit of mediocrity on their recommended list. Seriously, guys, think of your reputation with regular guests like me.

3  Thank Tom M
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Dined here tonight for valentines day. The restaurant was 20% full and now I know why. We looked at our menu and prices weren't bad, we started with sushi , which was the best thing in the entire menu and around 7-9$ for 5 pieces. We then ordered a plate of Caesar salad to share, only 4$ when it's min 10$ elsewhere, however like some other reviews it was very bland. I ordered the filet mignon with grilled shrimps which came with instant microwaved rice and veggies and a small cup of literally melted butter with salt(gross). The meat which I ordered medium well came completely dry and burned had no taste and did not even taste like a filet mignon!! Shrimp was bland and had a very weird smell. My partner got the bavette with two lobster tails (48$) and the meat was the same for him, dry and burned !! The lobster had the same weird smell my shrimp had and we couldn't eat it.for that 48$ go to moishes , although you won't get lobster tail with your steak, I guarantee you the meat is 100times better and juicier!! Do not come dine here you will waste your time and money .

4  Thank Nattt16