“Try This Restaurant!”

Vargas Steakhouse & Sushi
Reserve with OpenTable
Vargas Steakhouse & Sushi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #207 of 5,712 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Canadian, Sushi
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Description: We are located in the heart of downtown Montreal at the corner of University and Rene Levesque streets. We are steps away from the Queen Elizabeth hotel and a short distance from most downtown hotels. We offer delicious Angus steaks, fresh seafoood, and a terrific sushi bar.
Gatineau, Quebec
“Try This Restaurant!”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is a really nice spot slightly off the beaten path, with very professional staff, but friendly at the same time, a reasonably priced menu, with good variety and generous portions.
Kudos to The Keg right across the street for arranging a spot for us, as they had a 3 hour wait for a table.
You will likely spend over $100 for a couple, but you won't regret it!
We were 6 people and spent just under $300 with 2 bottles of wine among us, to give you an idea.

Visited November 2012

• Turkish first
Montreal
“Sushi really?”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I contemplated not writing this review but decide to go ahead as this was my fifth visit there (our offices are attached so convenience over rules!) And each time it has been sub-par. Each time disappointing, mostly when selecting off the sushi menu.

Disappointing would be an understatement. We were a group of six, on a business lunch.

I had tried the sushi before but given that the restaurant is classified steak AND sushi I thought maybe just maybe, I had had some off meals. So I try again the sushi (huge sushi fan, I can tell the difference between good and bad, but not demanding).

Service, where do I begin. Waiter did not look clean is what I thought, however other colleagues pointed out the same! He poured and served over us, never refilled our water glasses and was.... disorganized. Management seemed to have a few words with him. Eurrk....

Food: colleagues had salads and were satisfied, however four of us had sushi and the comments were the same. If a restaurant is going to have such a large section of sushi, please accommodate the person who appreciates sushi. When selecting sushi on the daily special (which is not cheap) please offer either a miso soup or an oriental salad as a starter not a Caesar or Boston lettuce. Having a Caesar before sushi, what???? Having said that I saw our four plates sit at least 20 minutes waiting to be picked up and brought to our tables. Sushi is mediocre at best, tempura in the sushi is old, tasted like when u go to a restaurant and the oil in the fryer it too old.

If sushi is on the menu and a gooooooood part if the menu it should be up to par. If you go there stick to steak and if you stick to steak, cross the street and go to the Keg, same price point better food. The only reason we did not go there was because we had had supper there the night before.

Not a fan, however the decor is nice.

• Visited November 2012
4 Thank MarieMontreal
Montreal, Canada
“Maybe the steak was better”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Went there with co-workers for supper.

The room is large and posh. The waiter was not friendly at all, he seemed annoyed by our presence....

The bread is very goood and baked on the premises

I decided to order things I'd never had before like the gyoza dumplings that tasted just like store bought egg rolls....deception

and the lobster popcorn salad....obviously the chef didn't get the memo on what is tempura because the lobster was in a batter but it was not tempura...Tempura is not rolled in panko bread crumbs after.

I had about 12 cups of baby spinach, tons of red onions and about a cup of the biggest bacon bits I had ever seen but unfortunately they were not crisp enough...and very salty
I would've used more of the delcious watermelon to balance the spicy creamy vinaigrette.

My co-workers seemed to love their food which makes me think that the steak would've been better!

I found that the toilets needed TLC. A lot of the stall were missing handles on the doors and the vanity doors were missing pieces.

• Visited November 2012
Montreal, Canada
“Very good Food, service and atmosphere.”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Very good Food, service and atmosphere.
I go there for lunch on special occasions. They offer a lot of food, normally more than I can eat for an average lunch price. Great atmosphere for a business lunch and very good service.

Visited October 2012
“Business luncheon crowd”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is the place to go if you have business downtown and want to go for lunch. That said, reservations are pretty much required.

Service is excellent and the food is delicious. Plan on spending 90 minutes for lunch and close to 80$ for two people without alcohol, but including taxes and tips.

• Visited October 2012

Been to Vargas Steakhouse & Sushi? Share your experiences!